Friday, May 3, 2024

Colours in Motion

Bangladesh's rickshaw renaissance

In the bustling streets of Bangladesh, where colours weave tales and creativity knows no bounds, there exists an extraordinary art form—rickshaw art. Bangladesh is home to an unconventional explosion of creativity that transforms its streets into art galleries adorned with vibrant hues and intricate designs that transform humble rickshaws into moving works of art. 

Beyond Wheels and Pedals

A rickshaw is a three-wheeled tricycle with a distinctive carriage seamlessly melded onto its seat. Guided by the skilled hands and pedaling prowess of a driver or rickshaw wallah perched on the front seat, it gracefully maneuvers through the urban tapestry.

While often chosen for shorter distances, the rickshaw stands as a vital mode of transportation across Bangladesh’s bustling cities. This vehicle comprises essential components: handlebars, a sturdy frame, three seats, a protective hood, a back plate and wheels.

Tassels, Fabric, and Florals

Painted by skilled artisans, the rickshaw transforms into a mesmerizing canvas adorned with a kaleidoscope of colours. Intricate patterns depict vibrant flowers, picturesque natural scenery, a menagerie of animals and even the faces of movie stars.

The striking bursts of colour become the focal point of this unique art form. Lively tassels, rich fabrics and sometimes artificial flowers complement these vivid visuals.

Rickshaw art, in its essence, is a theatrical expression of stories through visual artistry, portraying scenes reminiscent of romantic snapshots or capturing the idyllic landscapes of rural Bangladesh. 

The Rickshaw Canvas

Rickshaw paintings have diverse themes, originally embracing rustic scenes and the serenity of nature with time the canvas of rickshaw art expanded its repertoire, embracing vibrant depictions of movie stars of both Bangladeshi and Indian cinema.

It began incorporating mosques and Hindu deities showcasing religious influences and later also etched into the political landscape, becoming a dynamic medium for campaigns.

A shift followed, revealing futuristic cityscapes and eventually weaving historical treasures like the Taj Mahal, Ahsan Manjil and the Baitul Mokarram Mosque into the vibrant tapestry of rickshaw paintings.

Creative Fuel

The genesis of rickshaw painting traces back to the early 1960s, marking the inception of a distinctive art form. As the art gained widespread popularity, it evolved beyond its promotional origins, emerging as a potent force for societal change.

The rise of rickshaw art contributed to economic growth, reflected in Bangladesh’s GDP, and proved to be a harbinger of employment opportunities for the underprivileged population.

In this transformative journey, rickshaw art not only became a colourful facet of Bangladesh’s cultural showcase but also provided a creative outlet that transcended its initial advertising purpose. 

Accessibility and Freedom of Expression

In the vibrant streets of Bangladesh, rickshaw art stands proudly as a quintessential form of street art. Beyond the confines of formal workshops, this artistic expression serves as a canvas for local artists to showcase their creativity and earn a livelihood.

The streets become an open gallery, offering both a platform and a means of sustenance. What makes this form of art truly remarkable is its lack of specificity in theme—each artist enjoys a unique freedom of expression.

The only common thread weaving through the tapestry of rickshaw art is the bold play of colours and the inclusion of dramatic ornaments.

International Recognition of Rickshaw Art

In a landmark decision, December 2023 witnessed the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage bestowing a prestigious honor upon rickshaw art.

The declaration marked the inclusion of rickshaw transport and its accompanying art onto the illustrious Representation List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.