HomeArts & CultureDIY filmmaking in Halifax

DIY filmmaking in Halifax

Learn how to commit those daydreams to the screen

(Photo by Paola Tolentino)

“[People] often see filmmaking as something glamorous, a creative outlet that they are finally getting to explore,” says Martha Cooley, executive director at the Atlantic Filmmakers Cooperative. With easier access to equipment and more accessible publishing platforms these days, more and more people have been turning to filmmaking as a passionate hobby or as a change in career.

The Atlantic Filmmakers Cooperative, or AFCOOP, is a local organization dedicated to helping Halifax filmmakers, both amateurs and professionals. They run several programs, from a residence program to affordable equipment rentals to workshops.

“For a lot of people, we’re the first point of contact with the film world,” says Cooley.

She knows that AFCOOP can be an intimidating place, especially for people who are inexperienced in filmmaking or new to the area. Because of that, she says, AFCOOP tries it’s best to make its resources and knowledge easy to access. The last thing they want to do is discourage creative content.

“People are often making work that’s really personal and they care about, some passionate endeavour and you get to help them realize that potential.”

Compared to large cities like Vancouver or Toronto, Halifax’s filmmaking community is relatively small. However, the small size means that the community is also very tight-knit.

“[The filmmaking community] is very positive. It’s a lot of the same people all the time, so that’s good for networking. There’s not a lot of money [In Nova Scotia], so there’s also a kind of DIY spirit, lots of volunteering in projects and a lot of giving in the community.”

Workshops offered at the co-op range from introductory courses to training on specific equipment for more advanced creators. It’s a good alternative to professional film schools, especially for people who don’t have the time, money or motivation to go back to school.

“The best filmmaking is making your own projects and collaborating with people who share your vision,” Cooley says. She encourages people to make their own films, whether it’s intended for the Internet or for larger screens, like one of Halifax’s many film festivals.

AFCOOP is currently hosting a series of fall film workshops, meant to introduce aspiring filmmakers to the basics, such as screenwriting and directing. But there’s always something going on in the filmmaking community, from screenings to contests, such as the Holiday Super-8 Challenge, where participants must use an old-fashioned Super-8 camera and a roll of film to make a movie which is screened later.

Cooley encourages students at Dal to come and check out AFCOOP workshops and events. “It’s a good way to meet people with similar interest.”

The AFCOOP offices, where you’ll find the equipment rentals and editing spaces, is located at 5663 Cornwallis Street (a short walk up from Gottingen Street).

More information about the AFCOOP is available at their website, afcoop.ca.