HomeOpinionsDalhousieFrom the Archives

From the Archives

Ragamuffins” – Vol. 5, Issue 3 – December 14, 1872

Ever since Dalhousie came into existence its students have been annoyed by the ragamuffins that congregate on the Parade. All day long the Parade swarms with young scamps who have no regard for the shins or heads of passersby.

Before the snow comes, their young lordships are pleased to amuse themselves at “Hurley” or “Hockey” or whatever they may please to call it. It is absolutely unsafe sometimes for anyone to venture to cross the Parade. Stones and sticks are flying through the air, and if the ball with which those “City Arabs” are playing happens to fall near ones feet a rush is made at it from all sides, so that it is a miracle if one escapes without a crack on the shins.

But when nature puts on her mantle of white, their numbers increase rapidly, and they attack us with snowballs. I have seen a small-sized Freshie beset by as many as forty filthy, disgusting specimens of humanity whose very appearance was enough to scare him.

Whenever there is snow enough to make a snowball it goes to the benefit of Dalhousie. Last winter we took the law into our own hands and administered a wholesome dose to some two or three of the young imps by threatening to dissect them.

One of them, unfortunately, being subject to Epilepsy, took a fit, and his parents were impudent enough to bring an action against three students for assault and battery. The “pater” tried to make them shell out but was promptly requested to go to the d—l, and on his failing to appear the prisoners were discharged.

The “fit” had a salutary effect however, for not once during the latter part of the session was a snowball thrown at any student. We are ready for more lynching if it be necessary. Where are our valiant Peelers? Never on hand when they are wanted. We hope that the city authorities will take some steps towards removing these nuisances.

Party Big Mess” – Volume 112, Issue 2 – September 20, 1979

Five bus loads of Howe Hall students and two bus loads of Dalhousie orientation students left Halifax’s Crystal Crescent Beach “. . . very, very dirty,” in the words of two workers for the Department of Lands and Forests who had to clean up the next day. However, organizers at Dalhousie say the mess was the result of a misunderstanding and will not happen again.

Valerie and Brian Gray are responsible for looking after the beach at Crystal Crescent. Both were very upset when they came out the day following the party last Thursday night and saw the mess the students had left.

“It was more than exceptionally dirty”, said Valerie Gray. “The centre area of the beach was particularly dirty. It seems they brought in a lot of trees to burn or sit on and then didn’t move them when they left. There were also a lot of beer bottles, pop bottles and food wrappings lying around. Near the trees there was also a lot of broken glass.”

Gray said that it would have taken two or more evenings to clean up the mess if it hadn’t been for a group of students from King’s College who came down to have their own party. The King’s students helped the Grays clean up and then cleaned up most of their own mess before they left.

[…]

“Bikers and Howe Hall residents brawl at strip bar” – Volume 130, Issue 4 – September 25, 1997

Two Howe Hall residents were sent to hospital following a bar brawl with bikers at the Lighthouse strip club on Saturday night.

One student required 27 stitches to his face, while the other received five stitches to close his wounds.

The fight was prompted by a Howe Hall resident (who wishes to remain anonymous) taking to the stage during an intermission. With encouragement from his friends, he danced and removed his clothes.

Upon exiting the stage, he and the other Howe Hall men in attendance were confronted by the manager.

According to one sober patron, the manager and three bikers “got into a huddle” while the Howe Hall resident was leaving the stage. The manager, backed up by the bikers then asked the rowdy students to leave the premises.

In response to the request to leave, one Howe Hall student asked, “Why?”. He put his beer down, turned to leave and was met by the fists of a goateed biker who, according to the sober patron, “went berserk”.

“Chairs and tables were flying,” said one student.

The Howe Hall residents were from Bronson and Smith Houses.

Howe Hall President Shawn Key says that the trip to the Lighthouse was not an official event and had been organized by friends between the two houses.

Key said that he feels badly about what happened to the residents.

“It was pure, senseless violence,” said Key.

“I talked to the guys involved and asked what happened. They were watching the ladies and drinking and they were just drunk and joking around.

“Two guys came up [to the resident who was dancing on the stage] and one guy sucker punched him and a big brawl ensued. It seems that the bouncers didn’t do much.

“When they got outside they called the police. Rumour has it they [the bikers] were Hell’s Angels, but we don’t know and the police didn’t seem to care,” said Key.

One Howe Hall resident at the club said that the fight was unexpected, as most patrons appeared to enjoy the drunken performance. He said that the spontaneity of the attack made it “totally unfair” for the Howe Hall residents.

Several frosh squad members in attendance tried to free their fellow students from the melee, but they were hampered by the bouncers.

One squad leader said that the bouncers were ordered to restrain the students who were trying to enter the brawl in aid of their fellow students.

“By the way the bouncer held me by the throat, it looks as if the bouncer and the [bikers] were friends,” observed a squad leader.

One student managed to retum to the bar. Upon entrance, he was told, “We’ll fucking stab your ass.”

Following the brawl, two students were sent to hospital while a third was taken along as a witness in the police car.

The students were taken by one of the two police cars that arrived at the scene.

At the hospital, the physician in attendance said that more than a knuckle was required to cause the damage to one student’s face.

Key said that a valuable lesson has been learned by the residents. ‘The guys are okay, and it could have been a lot worse,” remarked Key.

“One guy was badly beaten up, but he’s alright and quite honestly the only thing to say is that it’s a shame something like this happened. The guys involved have the same attitude; they’re not ever going to go back [to the Lighthouse].”

John Hillman
John Hillman
John Hillman is the Gazette's Opinions Editor. John is a second-year law student, but he has been at Dalhousie for much longer than that. Recently discovered cave paintings indicate he was first observed lurching around campus by Halifax’s original human settlers some time during the late Pleistocene epoch. He started writing for the Gazette back when you were in elementary school, but he unexpectedly went off the grid a half-decade ago to concentrate on helping found Punditry.ca, a DSU-focused political blog. Where exactly was he hiding between the years 2009-2013? Certain individuals would prefer he not comment. Why has he returned? Not because of a top-secret Illuminati indoctrination project known only as the Omega Initiative, that’s for sure. You can email John at opinions@dalgazette.com.