Sunday, May 12, 2024
HomeArts & CultureMonsters of Folk – Self titled

Monsters of Folk – Self titled

A few months ago when it was announced that a new record would be coming out from Jim James, Mike Mogis, Conor Oberst and M. Ward under the moniker Monsters of Folk, most people saw the band as a Traveling Wilburys of the indie generation. This was concerning, because if you’ve ever listened to the Traveling Wilbury’s, most of their records sound pretty disjointed and chaotic.

That being said, there is still hope. Do you like My Morning Jacket? Do you like Bright Eyes? Do you like whatever it is that M. Ward does? Well, this record is perfect for you.

Each singer takes his own spot behind the mic for a variety of songs, all under the main production of Mogis. Each singer has his own unique style, whether it is Oberst’s heart wrenching drawl or the angelic tones of the bear of a man that is Jim James. However, all songwriter’s voices are weighted in a roots-rock background, giving the tones a cohesive sound. This adds a lot of variety to the record, but at certain times what the record really needs is structure.

Written and recorded from 2004 to 2009, this wide gap of time is evident all across the album due to its non-cohesive sound. Some instrumentation feels rushed and confusing. A good example of this is Mogis’ slide guitar on “Baby Boomer”, a country stomping track that sounds great, but falls flat when Mogis’s redundant slide kicks in. The riff is so simple, but isn’t catchy, draining the life out of the M. Ward song.

There are a few glorious surprises on this record. Opening track “Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F)” uses an electronic drum beat and Jim James’ atmospheric-reverb soaked drawl to its advantage, giving the track an eerie sonic texture much like later years Flaming Lips. Each songwriter takes a turn on vocals shaping what is essentially an R&B track into a spiritual psychedelic soundscape.

If only the rest of the album was as experimental as the opener.

For fans of all of these artists, this album will sound great. If you’re looking for something that sounds just like My Morning Jacket or just like Bright Eyes, this album may sound like a group of ideas as opposed to ideas in motion.

Grade: B-