HomeNewsBriefs of the week

Briefs of the week

Week of Nov. 19, 2018

Biomass Energy Plant

On Nov. 20, the Biomass Energy Plant officially opened on Dalhousie University’s Agricultural Campus in Truro. The $26.5-million project began operating over the summer. This plant produces renewable electricity and heat, contributing to the Agricultural Campus’ goal of becoming completely carbon neutral. According to Dal News, Dalhousie is the first university on the continent to use technology of this kind.

Movember

Dalhousie University student Tate Drummond is leading the top Canadian university team fundraising for Movember. According to a release, Drummond – a commerce student – raised $28,000 with the team at RBC Global Asset Management during his co-op placement last year.  This year, Drummond is spearheading the Rowe Mobros and Sistas team at Dal. As of Nov. 22, the Mobros and Sistas had raised almost $20,000: the most out of any university team in the country.

Women in politics

Equal Voice Canada (an organization that strives to get women involved in all levels of government) released the results of a study on women’s engagement in politics and the perception of women in politics by Abacus Data on Nov. 22. According to a press release from Equal Voice, 77 per cent of people agreed that politically-involved women are treated differently than their male counterparts. In addition, family obligations such as childcare was considered a “very good/good reason” by 74 per cent of women to not be involved in politics.

Equal Voice’s Daughters of the Vote initiative provides “an opportunity for 338 young women aged 18 to 23 – one from each federal riding” to participate in a multi-partisan political leadership program in Ottawa in April. The application deadline for next year’s four-day program has been extended to Jan. 6.

Order of Canada

Dal law professor Jocelyn Downie was one of 125 new appointees to the Order of Canada to be celebrated on Nov. 20. Downie has been lauded for her work in Canadian health law, including a focus on end-of-life care and policy on practices such as assisted dying.