HomeOpinionsFrom the Archives: Happy Halloweens

From the Archives: Happy Halloweens

Dalhousie students have never missed an opportunity to throw a good party, and we’ve been using Halloween as an excuse for a long, long time. From “jazzing gayly” in the roaring 20s, to the hedonistic chaos of “Halloween Mardi Gras” during the 80s and 90s, our enjoyment of the Halloween season has only ever been matched by our talent for selecting retrospectively offensive costumes.

“Shirreff Hall” – Volume 56, Issue 15 – November 12, 1924

Talk about ghosts! Last friday night the spirits of Hallowe’en flitted around the Hall. Strange rustlings and whisperings were heard, especially in the rooms of the Sophs, who were then jazzing gayly at Bedford. Spirit after spirit stealthily followed one another, each leaving some token of its visit. And when the dancers finally climbed the steps to bed, what a sight greeted their weary eyes! Ghosts met them at their thresholds, and turning on the light, a ghastly color flooded their room. Horrors! Weird shapes hanging from the lights, others reclining on the beds and chairs! Terrified shrieks and yells of dismay showed that Allison McCurdy and Kay Smith still had some life left. When at last, with sighs of relief, they flung themselves onto the bed – Crash! The bed collapsed and they gracefully slid onto the floor. Gingerly putting in their feet a second time, they felt prickly sensations. What next! Oh, nothing to worry about – only toast crumbs several inches thick. At last, after many weary hours plotting revenge, they dropped off to sleep. But one important detail was missing in their plans. Who was responsible for the mess? Anna Grant? Irene Madill? Edna Mingie? They are still wondering.

“Gazette Hallowe’en Dance Presented Strange Spectacle” – Volume 87, Issue 4 – November 2, 1954

Amidst ghosts, pumpkins, black cats and witches, danced a crew of weird and strangely-costumed figures at the Gazette Hallowe’en Masquerade held last Friday night in the Gymnasium. The brave souls who appeared in costumes really went all out, and were dressed as such characters as Dutchmen, devils, clowns, Apache dancers, Romans and prize fighters. Of course, some who were afraid to be exhibitionists attended, attired in normal clothing, and we figured that their financial situation must be pretty good, because they had to pay an extra 25c at the door.

Prizes were given for the funniest and most original costumes. The wearer of the most original make costume went to Malcolm MacAulay, Med 2, who came as a bronzed and feathered Indian Chief. Dressed as a flapper of the roaring ‘20’s, Doreen Mitchell, Comm 4, won the most original female prize. Elise Lang, Arts 4, and John Brown Sc. Eng. 4, were the winners for the funniest costumes as typical freshmen. A new twist was given to this combination, Ms. Lang wearing the typical freshman outfit, and Mr. Brown dressed as the freshette.

Hugh McCabe’s Rhythmaires provided the music, and Alf Johnson directed the square sets, in which the crowd participated enthusiastically. Though it wasn’t the most crowded dance of the year, there was good attendance, and all those who went said they had a great time.

“Argyle Haunted By Mardi Gras” by Chris Lambe – Volume 123, Issue 8 – November 1, 1990

The city of Halifax played host to its annual Mardi Gras party on October 27.

The downtown core came alive on Saturday night when over twenty-five thousand people filled Argyle Street. The city police force were working overtime; more than four hundred rowdy goblins were carted off to spend a chilly night in jail.

An officer of mammoth proportions said “it’s really for their own good. We’re protecting these people from themselves more than anything else.”

Despite a huge increase in arrests this year, attendance was down at the Hallowe’en extravaganza.

There was a definite polarization between those who came dressed in costumes, ready to have a good time, and others who only seemed interested in brawling, pushing and other violent confrontation.

While this aspect of the evening laced the event with a slightly depressing aftertaste, most of the celebrants appeared to be having a great time.

Wendy, a Saint Mary’s University commerce major, said she “really liked the idea of an outdoor blow-out. It’s become an important part of my past five years at school in the Maritimes.”

Dressed as a devil, she expressed her concern over Moosehead’s kind provision of a number of ‘port-o-potties’ at the intersection of Barrington and Blowers streets. “I hope they aren’t planning to recycle that stuff or anything,” she said with a wry grin on her face.

The city was reluctant to provide any such facilities for the spooky revellers. In fact, they even considered cancelling the traditional event all together. This anti-fun movement was quashed by a city council vote, however, and the late-night adventure went on as scheduled.

The “lack of focus”, which concerned Walter Fitzgerald of the Halifax city council, was apparent in the absence of any indoor party at the trade and convention centre.

The promoters were unable to find a sponsor for the night due to an escalation in both the levels of downtown violence and the bad press the event has received in recent years.

A young man, who identified himself only as a TUNS student was adamant in his demands. “If the Mardi Gras is going to grow, Halifax is going to have to grow along with it.”

Dressed as James Brown, he said “all this stuff about the Mardi Gras having a negative effect on the city is ridiculous. What other night of the year can you walk downtown with six and a half foot tall drag queen on your arm and not get beaten to a bloody pulp?”

A woman dressed as some kind of mushroom and a man who claimed to be Art Garfunkel were delighted with their “first of what they hope to be many more Mardi Gras to come.”

Garfunkel said that he “hasn’t seen anything this entertaining and kinetic since that Jimminy-Himminy Hendrix concert we caught in January of sixty-eight.” He added the experience had been “so intense that he’s going to have to melt-down in his hot tub for a few hours and watch the sunrise before getting to sleep.”

The woman in the fungi costume concurred; “it’s been a long strange evening” she said, but I would definitely come again. It was excellent!”

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 7.23.13 PM

Mardi Gras–Oct 23, 1986

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 7.23.56 PM

Volume 95, Issue 6 — November 7, 1962

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 7.24.24 PM

Gazette Dance — Volume 87, Issue 4 — Nov 2, 1954

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 7.25.36 PM

Volume 60, Issue 4 — October 28, 1927

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 7.26.24 PM

Mardi Gras 1991 – Volume 124, Issue 8 – October 31, 1991

John Hillman
John Hillman
John Hillman is the Gazette's Opinions Editor. John is a second-year law student, but he has been at Dalhousie for much longer than that. Recently discovered cave paintings indicate he was first observed lurching around campus by Halifax’s original human settlers some time during the late Pleistocene epoch. He started writing for the Gazette back when you were in elementary school, but he unexpectedly went off the grid a half-decade ago to concentrate on helping found Punditry.ca, a DSU-focused political blog. Where exactly was he hiding between the years 2009-2013? Certain individuals would prefer he not comment. Why has he returned? Not because of a top-secret Illuminati indoctrination project known only as the Omega Initiative, that’s for sure. You can email John at opinions@dalgazette.com.