HomeOpinionsLettersLetter to the editor: Don't rush

Letter to the editor: Don’t rush

How history repeats itself.

In the winter of 2007 every Dal student had the opportunity to vote on whether they wanted to pay for an expansion to the Student Union Building. They didn’t.

Now, a repackaged version of the same plan is being presented to Dalhousie Student Union council for them to decide on. Only this time, the University is also trying to take control of food services in the SUB away from students and replace it with one campus- wide provider.

This is a huge decision that will affect Dalhousie students forever. Not to mention the fact that it will create a food service monopoly on campus. The food service debate has been going on as long as the contract with Sodexho, and for almost as long the DSU has been working towards gaining back the freedom to be able to offer the alternatives that students want.

The last thing that should influence this decision making process is the university’s hurried schedule. With a decision this big and with such consequences I believe that the Student Union has an obligation to meaningfully consult students and not make this decision solely around the council table. I cannot think of a time in the last ten years that the DSU has had to make such a big decision. So please, take the time that is required for Dalhousie students to make an informed decision, on your schedule, and stop giving into the university’s manufactured haste.

—Ezra Edelstein, DSU President 2005- 2007