HomeOpinionsLettersLetter to the editor

Letter to the editor

gazette news logoDear editor,

The article from Feb. 15, 2013 on Dalhousie’s Master Plan was a great way of quickly informing the university population on the forthcoming projects that we can expect to see. Dalhousie presents itself as being a leader in sustainability and having a strong focus on improving its commitment and progress while continuing to develop as an institution. Although there are a large number of projects being created and implemented, such as the active transportation corridor, there is one comment I would like to make on an issue at Dalhousie. It is inspiring that we are working towards a sustainable campus and focusing on improved public space, however the issue I have is that there are areas of open green space on campus that are presently underutilized.

One area in particular is the large grassy area beside the SUB, along LeMarchant Street. Currently this space is grass and more often than not an excess of mud. Pedestrians and cyclists have created a path through the space, showing how busy of an area it is and suggesting how much use it could get if it were to be used effectively. We need to make it a priority to start creating public green spaces with space we already have.

Apart from a few Muskoka chairs and the benches in the bus stops there are no seating areas, and apart from this nothing else. If this area were developed into a livable space it would not only be much more aesthetically pleasing, but it would offer a space for students to use as more than a muddy pathway, right in the heart of the campus. Instead of having small, uninviting bus stops, the waiting area could extend out onto the grass in combination with the open space, promoting public transportation. There may already be plans for this space in progress, I am not too sure, but I wanted to stress what I believe to be an important issue. Dalhousie needs to focus on the space and resources it already has in order to create a sustainable, well-planned, and well-utilized campus.

Thank you and you may publish this if you wish,

Mackenzie Childs