HomeSportsBen’s 10 – Movember in the Majors

Ben’s 10 – Movember in the Majors

The moustache is a symbol of all things good and manly. It is a source of pride for men from Ron Burgundy to Ned Flanders, and now moustaches are raising money for a good cause. We have entered Movember (the ‘M’ has officially replaced the ‘N’) and men across the galaxy are growing their ‘mo’s’ in an effort to promote awareness for male health issues like prostate cancer. Whether you have a few whiskers or a full mane, it is a fun way to support a worthy cause. With this in mind, here are 10 of the greatest moustaches in sports. Stay classy, Mova Scotia!

Honourable mention – Sidney Crosby: That’ll do, kid. That’ll do.

10. Joe Namath: It takes a real man to appear in a pantyhose commercial. Oh, he also revolutionized the passing game and won a Super Bowl. Great ‘stache.

9. Larry Bird: This permanent milk moustache adorned the face of one of the NBA’s most prolific players. You’re welcome for the free promo, dairy corporations.

8. “Goose” Gossage: Wait, geese don’t have moustaches! Someone call an ornithologist!

7. Mark Spitz: Years before Michael Phelps could even say “chlorine,” Spitz and his nose neighbour raked in a then-record seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympics. Clearly, style beats aerodynamics every time.

6. Chicago coaches (Mike Ditka, Phil Jackson and Joel Quenneville): Someone tell the Cubs to hire Sal Fasano, because the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks have all won championships with these moustachioed coaches.

5. Wendel Clark: NHL players from the ‘80s and ‘90s still have nightmares of this fierce Fu Manchu. Now let’s hope the ‘stache can knock some sense into Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr. Or, at least build an arena on campus.

4. Dale Earnhardt: “The Intimidator” became a legend for turning left, and looked great doing it. Yippee ki-yay, NASCAR-trucker.

3. Hulk Hogan: What’cha gonna do when Hulkamania and his Fu come for you, brotha!

2. Lanny McDonald: This Alberta native had a Hall of Fame career, culminating with a Stanley Cup victory in 1989. His fiery style of play perfectly matched his fiery red soup-strainer. Legen—wait for it; savour the moment—dary.

1. Rollie Fingers and the Oakland A’s Moustache Gang: Cashing in on owner Charlie Finley’s ‘moustache-for-money’ policy, Fingers and the hirsute Athletics went on to win three straight World Series from 1972-1974. Fingers even had a $100 stipend from the team for moustache wax. He put it to good use.

Visit ca.movember.com for more information about how you can get involved.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.