HomeSportsBen’s Ten: Notable Novembeards

Ben’s Ten: Notable Novembeards

The Dalhousie Gazette, being the prestigious institution it is, strives to be original. Since I did a “Movember in the Majors” piece last year, here’s a new portmanteau for you: Novembeard.

Trends have come and gone, but in every era beards in some shape or form have always made the cut. From prophets and pirates to lumberjacks and ZZ Top, you can always spot a hirsute hero in a crowd.

Mo’ bros don’t be disheartened: most beards are incomplete without a moustache (with the exception of Honest Abe). So with that bureaucratic snafu taken care of, join the campaign for men’s health awareness and look at some of the most beloved beards in sports.

Honourable Mention: James Harden- In a nod to the Shock Top beer logo, the Rockets guard augments his prolific beard with a Mohawk. Baller move.

HM-James Harden

10. The 1980s New York Islanders- The ones who started the playoff beard tradition. These furry four-peaters won the Cup consecutively to open the decade, and started the phenomenon that turns NHLers into Teen Wolves every spring.

10. NY Islanders

9. Sócrates, Brazilian national soccer team- Not to be mistaken for the Greek philosopher, who also had a beard…wait, now I’m confused.

9. Socrates

8. Bald bros- Athletes like Tim Howard, Kevin Youkilis and Pero Antić (pictured) prove the efficacy of the ‘top down convertible’ look. Get it? It’s funny because they’re bald up top and bearded below.

8. Bald bros

7. Sébastein Chabal French national rugby team- Reminiscent of Hanna-Barbera cartoon Captain Caveman, this rugby player had opponents screaming “Heavens to Murgatroyd!”

7. Sebastien Chabal

6. MLB Relievers- Bruce Sutter got the trend going in the early 80s, but Brian Wilson’s “Fear the Beard” campaign in 2010 showed that the most reliable relievers often go unshaved. For further proof, see Goose Gossage and Rollie Fingers of moustache lore.

6. MLB relievers (part 2)

5. Mike Commodore, Carolina Hurricanes- Where does his curly hair end and his beard begin? Same goes for Commodore’s ‘Mini-Me’ Scott Hartnell.

5. Mike Commodore

4. Brett Keisel, Pittsburgh Steelers- Opposing linemen in the league Cowher in fear from this steel curtain of fearsome follicles. He doesn’t even need a facemask for his helmet.

4. Brett Keisel

3. Lanny McDonald, Calgary Flames- Ranked second in last year’s moustache poll, the 1989 Stanley Cup final saw his fiery ‘stache burst into a five-alarm beard.

3. Lanny McDonald

2. The 2013 Boston Red Sox- Spearheaded by Jonny “Ironsides” Gomes and Mike “Papa Smurf” Napoli, this band of bearded BoSox went from worst to first, bringing home the hardware and flashing back to 2004’s scruffy centre fielder Johnny Damon.

2. Red Sox

1. W.G. Grace – Holy hirsute hairdo, Batsman! This pioneering cricketer’s career predated the creation of Gillette, and it certainly showed.

1. W.G. Grace

Visit ca.movember.com for more information about how you can get involved.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.