Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeSportsBasketballHome sweet Halifax

Home sweet Halifax

The Carleton Ravens proved why the Metro Centre is their home away from home.

After five consecutive championship titles when the tournament was last held in Halifax, the Ravens raised the W.P. McGee Trophy again last weekend in the celebrated return of the Final 8 to Halifax.

Carleton claimed national supremacy with a convincing demolition of the Trinity Western Spartans 82 – 59.

It is the Ravens seventh title in nine years.

“I just thought we battled, we battled through their size and really defended them as a team,” said Carleton coach Dave Smart. “They played well.”

The Ravens did it with a balanced attack. Secondary players Elliot Thompson (19 points), Phillip Scrubb (16 points) and Willy Manigat (14 points) overshadowed Tyson Hinz (14 points), who was left with few options courtesy of a tight Trinity Western defence. The Ravens, in return, had space to play with in three-point territory.

“I think we overdid (covering the inside) a little bit,” said Kyle Coston, the hero who led the Spartans  to the dance after upsetting UBC. “But we’ve got to give it up to them, they were shooting 50 per cent from threes in the first half. That is pretty much unstoppable.”

The Ravens collected 16-of-38 from the three-point line.

The victory set off discussions whether Carleton has started another basketball dynasty.

“A lot of things went our way this year,” said Smart. “Do we hope to put ourselves in a position to win again? Yes, but it’s hard to do.”

For Trinity Western, they hope this tournament starts a trend for them: continued appearances in the Final 8. This was the first national tournament for the Spartans since they joined the CIS in 1999.

“Right after the game ended, I said I’m proud of them,” Spartans head coach Scott Allen said. “What they’ve done is establish a tradition that we want to continue with—coming back to Halifax or wherever the championships are held.”

Meanwhile, in the bronze medal game, Canada West conquerors UBC got the revenge they wanted on reigning title-holders Saskatchewan after falling to them in last year’s championship game.

The top-seeded Thunderbirds prevailed 111 – 95 against the Huskies in a contest where defence was often nonexistent.

Fifth-year Alex Murphy had 36 points, 19 higher than his closest teammate.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.