HomeSportsThe Ticker (For the week ending Feb. 9)

The Ticker (For the week ending Feb. 9)

Keisha Mills representing Dal. (Photo by Dustin Silvey)

Swim – Men’s and women’s AUS reign continues

It has been a long time since a Tigers swim team didn’t return from the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) with a championship banner. Buoyed by the performances of swimmers of the meet David Sharpe and Alison Grant, as well as rookie of the meet Paige Robillard, the teams owned the podium in St. John’s, Nfld. The women’s team, whose championship run extends back to the 2001-02, is matched only by the men’s team’s run that goes back to 1998-99. With a medal haul of 26 gold, 11 silver and 12 bronze, it was another strong performance from the Tigers.

Sprinter Allister Mason earned second place in the 300-metre and fourth in the 600-metre. (Photo by Chris Parent)

Track and field –  Dal hosts only meet of season

The Canada Games Centre played host to the Maritime’s finest in track and field on Feb. 8. The Dalhousie women’s team performed strongly, earning 13 podium spots, including a silver and bronze-worthy performances by Ellen Chappell, who also runs cross-country. On the men’s side, the Tigers earned 11 top three finishes, with four of them claiming first in their respective events. The team will now prepare for the AUS championship in Moncton on Feb. 22.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.