Monday, April 29, 2024
Home10 Free Ways To Feel Alive in Halifax
Array

10 Free Ways To Feel Alive in Halifax

Photo by Jasspreet Sahib
Photo by Jasspreet Sahib

The financial realities of student life can be distressing, so you’ll want to make use of free resources whenever possible. Living in Halifax, you can cut your entertainment budget to nothing and still have fun. There are many ways you can be entertained, learn and explore the city for free. At least ten.

1. Eat
From Tuesday to Thursday, free vegetarian food is served at 1 p.m. in the Student Union Building by the Loaded Ladle, a levied society and food co-op. It’s local and delicious.

2. Watch
Video Difference on Quinpool Road offers a selection of thousands of movies arranged by real people – not Netflix algorithms. Rentals of certain films by local directors are always free. You can also rent certain films from the Killam Library and the DVD collections of the Halifax Public Library system.

3. Read
The Killam has over one million books, most of which you can borrow. A walk through the stacks can lead you to authors and ideas you may love that sit far outside your assigned readings.

4. Listen
If you’ve already got enough to read, go to the Killam’s top floor and check out the music in their Special Collections. With record players and headphones provided, there are hundreds of classical and jazz LPs for your listening enjoyment.

5. Canoe
Until the end of September, the Saint Mary’s Boat Club offers free one-hour canoe rentals from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday. The club is located at the end of Jubilee Road – only a 10-minute walk from Studley Campus. Paddling across the Northwest Arm is a more intimate ocean experience than riding the ferry to Dartmouth.

6. Download
Microsoft Office It’s no canoe trip, but having a Dalhousie NetID entitles you to a free copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus. Check it out at software.library.dal.ca.

7. Bike
Near the back of the Studley Gymnasium, just past the end of University Avenue, you’ll find the Dal Bike Centre. They offer short-term bike loans, a great idea for touring Halifax from the ground.

8. Observe
The Dalhousie Art Gallery is a public gallery in the Arts Centre with no admission fee. Check out their permanent collection or one of the exhibits that appears throughout the year. After hours spent staring at an essay on a white screen, you should treat your eyes to art.

9. Sauna
If you’re a full-time student not interested in sports or strenuous exercise, you can still make the best out of your requisite Dalplex membership by acting like it’s a Holiday Inn. Our largest athletic facility offers the only Olympic-sized pool in town, and hot rock saunas in the changing rooms.

10. Fundraise

It costs nothing to apply for bursaries and scholarships. They’re offered throughout your entire undergraduate career, and many scholarships sit unclaimed. Every dollar you save on your education is a burden removed, so do the research and apply where you qualify.

Jesse Ward
Jesse Ward
Jesse, editor-in-chief of the Gazette, is a fifth-year student of journalism at Dalhousie and the University of King’s College. He started university with three years of experience writing for Teens Now Talk magazine, where he is now copy editor. Before writing a story Jesse likes to think about how his metal detector could finally be useful in researching this one, but there is never a way it could be. Jesse has produced writing and interactive features for Globalnews.ca and The Chronicle Herald. He may be followed on Twitter, @RealJesseWard, or from the Gazette office on Mondays around 8 p.m. to his home in West End Halifax. Email Jesse at editor@dalgazette.com.