Saturday, August 31, 2024
HomeMeet the administration
Array

Meet the administration

Richard Florizone mingles on his first official day as president. (Photo by Calum Agnew)

University President: Unanimously selected by a presidential search committee in November 2012, Richard Florizone has been president of Dal since July 2013. The president serves as a liaison between Dal and the outside community, representing the university domestically and abroad while also having a final say in many of the school’s day-to-day operations.

Chancellor: The role of chancellor is largely ceremonial, and presiding over the convocation ceremony is Fred Fountain’s most visible task. The Fountain family donated $10 million in 2013 to help create the Fountain School of Performing Arts, a merger of Dal’s former music and theatre departments.

Board of Governors: The 30 members of the Board are responsible for maintaining current operations at Dal, as well as planning for the future. Members of the board include faculty, students, alumni and appointed representatives, among others. The president and senior administration of Dal run many of the everyday tasks for which the Board is responsible.

Dalhousie Student Union (DSU) President: Ramz Aziz. Elected by the student body for the 2014-2015 school year, the DSU president sits on the Board of Governors and the University Senate, and helps run the operations of the union itself. This role is often more visible to students than the others mentioned here.

Eleanor Davidson
Eleanor Davidson
Eleanor is the Gazette's News Editor.