HomeArts & CultureHal-Con strikes back

Hal-Con strikes back

No overcrowded disorder this time

This was only the line for refunds at last year's Hal-Con. (photo by Matt Refghi)
Many had to wait in line for refunds last year at Hal-Con. (photo by Matt Refghi)

For those of you who aren’t aware, Hal-Con is Halifax’s answer to Comic-Con: it’s a three-day showcase and celebration of many different aspects of geek pop culture.

First held in 2010, the convention dedicates a weekend to panels and booths featuring people and items from popular television shows, video games and comic books.

Last year, Hal-Con had a serious overcrowding issue that resulted in an early shut down. Hundreds of fans were turned away.

Joni Crocker, director of communications and marketing for Hal-Con, says Hal-Con in previ- ous years, sold “non-specific day passes.”

This means ticketholders could choose which day to attend. This was never a problem until last year – too many people decided to attend on Saturday, which led to overcrowding.

Measures have been put in place to avoid a repeat.

“We’ve made Friday, Saturday and Sunday-specific day passes, which will eliminate the issue we had last year with everyone showing up for the same day,” says Crocker.

Hal-Con is also trying to shorten line wait times. Additionally, they’re rearranging their space in the convention centre to ease hallway congestion.

Guests this year include Mark Sheppard, who plays Crowley on the the show Supernatural, and comic book cover artist Kalman Andrasofszky. And don’t you dare miss the epic light saber battle in the Grand Parade!

Hal-Con will take place the weekend of Nov. 7. Be sure to purchase your tickets while you can.