HomeWhen your parents check up on you
Array

When your parents check up on you

A farm stand at the Halifax Seaport Market
A farm stand at the Halifax Seaport Market. (Leandra Villermet photo)

The only date more awkward than the first is the one with your parents. You’re new in town and they’ve come to visit to see how you’re doing and make sure you aren’t living in some morally-deprived hovel. So, how will you impress them with your independence? Coffee shops are fun and cheap but you can do better.

Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market:
Teach them refined taste by sampling spicy chocolates, local jams; all while reminding them how expensive quality groceries are (and maybe walking away with a bag of food to boot).

Something new:
Come from a small town? Take your family out for something they’ve never had. We’re lucky to have quite a few culturally diverse options, all within a short walk from campus. Try something they (and maybe you) have never tried to show off that sexy diverse palate you’ve gained.
Recommendations:
Indochine (1551 South Park Street), Gingergrass (1284 Barrington Street), Curry Village (1569 Dresden Row), New Asia (1252 Hollis Street).

Something old:
You’re a part of the Maritimes now. Find yourself some fish and chips, then walk it off by exploring. Or, budget permitting, go to a seafood restaurant on the waterfront. Seascapes are beautiful year-round.

Something not food-related:
I must apologize: I take any occasion as an excuse to eat, but I also appreciate a good movie, play, art show, what have you.

Claire Wählen
Claire Wählen
Claire was News Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146. You can follow her on Twitter at @Claire_Wahlen.