HomeSportsBasketballWomen’s basketball goes 2-1 in preseason tournament

Women’s basketball goes 2-1 in preseason tournament

Photo by Alex Maxwell
Photo by Alex Maxwell

The Dalplex played host to the 30th annual Subway Centennial Tournament as the women’s basketball team had one of their final chances to prepare for the regular season.

The Tigers started the tournament with a 63-43 win over UBC Okanagan. The game remained close through two quarters of play, with the Tigers only hav- ing a one-point lead at halftime. Dal’s bench went to work in the second half, outscoring UBC’s bench 17-8. The Tigers steadily increased their lead through- out, with four different Tigers receiving points to give the team a nine-point lead entering the fourth. The bench continued to work effectively in the fourth to give the Tigers the win.

Rebecca Nuttall led the way for the Tigers with 13 points, while UBC’s Shenelle Tamminen had a game-high 14.

Dal then suffered a close 56-54 loss that came down to the final seconds against Laval. The game was back and forth throughout, with the largest lead only coming from Laval near the end of the first half when they were up by 10. The game was tied 54-54 with 15 seconds remaining until Laval’s Sarah-Jane Marois, who had a game-high 17 points, made a layup with six seconds remaining to give her team the victory.

The Tigers turned things around in a big way in their final game against York University, winning 65-32. Tessa Stammberger led the way with 13 points and Robbi Daley came off the bench to score 12. The team went 50.9 per cent from field goal range, making 28 of 55 attempts.

The Tigers placed second in the tournament, as Laval won all three of their games and placed first.

The Tigers have two more pre-season games before they open the regular season on Nov. 7 at home against the UPEI Panthers. They travel to the University of Maine for games against Fort Kent on Oct. 25 and Presque Isle on Oct. 26.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.