HomeArts & CultureFool’s cooking school: breakfast edition

Fool’s cooking school: breakfast edition

gazette news logoWith school back in session, it’s easy to fall into a grab-and-go breakfast routine when hitting snooze seems like a better idea than cooking. We’ve all fallen victim to the Tim Horton’s line on Monday morning. Unfortunately, what you gain in naps you lose in nutrition, which can affect your academic performance for the rest of the day. However, I’m here to tell you that you can make a tasty and healthy breakfast in the same time it takes you to stand in the Tim’s line for your coffee and breakfast sandwich.

Diandra Phipps, co-owner of enVie—A Vegan Kitchen in Halifax’s north end, believes it all comes down to preparation. She says having all the components of what you’re making ready to go, for example having things washed, prepped or measured, will help you follow a recipe and prevent things from burning or being overcooked.

“I’m a terrible morning person, as my husband would say, so breakfast is usually quick and easy,” says Phipps. “Oatmeal with fresh fruit and granola or a bagel with almond butter and a banana is usually a go to for us.”

Phipps said when she first began eating healthy she would spend hours in the kitchen every night trying to make dinner.

“My advice for busy people is to take one day to do your shopping and cooking,” she says. “Smoothies and juices in the morning are also a quick, healthy option when you’re short on time, and the options are endless.”

Another great option for your morning breakfast routine is oatmeal. According to Johnny Bowden Ph.D., C.N.S., author of The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, oatmeal is not only high in both soluble and insoluble fiber, but it also turbo-charges your immune system because of the long strings of glucose molecules it contains. This means a bowl of oatmeal will keep you full all morning and give you the energy you need for class. Forget the Tim’s line!

Whether you have 20 minutes to make steel cut oats, five minutes to whip up a pot of quick oats on the stove, or two minutes to pop oatmeal in the microwave, you have an abundance of options. If you want to be adventurous you can add fresh fruit, almond or soy milk, mixed nuts or my personal favorite—a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a banana. This gives you not only a tasty treat, but a combination of energy-fueling carbohydrates and muscle-building protein.

If you’re still unsure about healthy breakfast options, or cooking in general, Phipps has the solution. enVie will start a series of workshops and cooking classes late this fall.