Monday, September 16, 2024
HomeArts & CultureThe emerging science of self

The emerging science of self

The irony of scientific research surrounding the human body and our faint understanding of its workings is truly poetic. The very thing that separates our species from the rest, the ability to understand the inner workings of our own bodies, is one of science’s most shifting and shallow topics, as the science behind the human body and our understanding of how it operates is continuously evolving. 

New research in epigenetics brings to light a whole new perspective surrounding the debate of nature versus nurture and how various lifestyle factors influence how we turn out as individuals.

It’s not all set in stone

According to the Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University, epigenetics is a relatively new field of scientific research that focuses on the ability of environmental factors to change a developing child’s (or adult’s, to a lesser and different extent) genetic sequencing and expression of their genes. Recent findings within the field of epigenetics may finally put the longstanding scientific debate between nature and nurture to rest, as new research suggests genes are no longer unchangeable or “set in stone.” 

When a child is developing, they inherit a specific set of genes from their biological parents. However, through development, the DNA that makes up these genes collects  chemical marks, which then determine to what degree the genes will be expressed. The accumulation of chemical marks is referred to as the “epigenome.” 

The Center on the Developing Child uses an example of how varying experiences in a child’s life can rearrange these chemical signatures, changing the frequency of activation of a gene and explaining why identical twins can grow up to have different personalities and skills.

How you influence your genes

The fascinating component of this research is how the epigenome is influenced by differing life experiences. 

Lifestyle factors affecting the epigenome include the presence (or lack thereof) of healthy relationships, stress, sleep habits and diet. These experiences place an epigenetic signature, either permanent or temporary, on a person’s genes, and affect how easily a specific gene can be activated or deactivated and expressed. 

Recent research in epigenetics indicates that lifestyle factors, such as diet, can influence genetic expression. (Image Credit: Josh Millgate, Unsplash)

It is important to remember, however, that epigenetics do not change and manipulate DNA sequences. They instead change how your body reads DNA sequences by altering its frequency of activation and protein generation.

The brief conclusion given by Harvard University was that the most productive things to be doing during our early years are to support responsive, healthy relationships, practice good habits and reduce stress to build stronger and more resilient brains–not a big surprise. 

These ” discoveries in the field of epigenetics disprove the past theory that a child’s genes are set in stone and environmental effects on a brain’s architecture, including mental health outcomes, are a complete mystery. Research suggests that it may be possible to reverse adverse changes and restore healthy ones, however, the possibility of reversal becomes more challenging the further the brain is developed, and it is much more effective to start when a child is young. 

An evolving field with a hopeful undertone

The scientific field of epigenetics may serve as an inspiring story for young minds beginning or continuing their post-secondary journeys. There is a renewed possibility for change, and with will and dedication, wrongs can be righted, and the future can be looked upon with potential and renewed possibilities. 

It has been scientifically proven that positive, healthy lifestyle habits can be reflected in the genetic makeup of our person. Manifesting positive thinking and good habits can be reflected in profound ways. The power to change yourself for the better is, literally, within yourself.

ANTINOMIAN

Not every romance is a rom-com