HomeNewsHalifax#FF: Occupy Nova Scotia on Twitter

#FF: Occupy Nova Scotia on Twitter

It’s been an interesting Remembrance Day – a lovely ceremony and an eviction notice for Occupy Nova Scotia. GazetteĀ assistant news editor Torey Ellis is on her way now to give us a full report on what’s going on, but for now your best bet for breaking news is on Twitter.
Below are a few of the standout threads thus far. Other notable tweeters to follow are the official Ā OccupyNSĀ  account, Ā halifaxtweetersĀ  for a cross-section of opinions, orĀ haligoniaĀ and OpenFile’sĀ @nealozanoĀ Ā for solid news.
Hashtags include #OccupyMayorKellysLawn.
Tim BousquetĀ TheĀ Coast‘sĀ @Tim_Bousquet:
  • Notice of eviction posted at Victoria Park, two police paddy wagons on site. Occupiers very upset, discussing how to get arrested.
  • Eviction notice is signed by “Acting CAO Mike Labrecque”—actual CAO Richard Butts skips town every weekend, to be with family in Toronto.
  • I figured Butts’ weekends were his own business, but if he can’t own evicting the Occupiers, we’ve got a problem.
  • I’m editing an audio clip right now, interview with well-spoken Occupier who feels the city’s actions are cowardly.
  • Ā As Occupier John Thibeault tells it, he went to Grand Parade to lay wreath on cenotaph on behalf of Occupiers. Veterans welcomed him.
  • Ā I’m editing an audio clip right now, interview with well-spoken Occupier who feels the city’s actions are cowardly.
  • Ā An Afghani War vet asked to walk up to the cenotaph with Thibeault, to jointly lay the wreath. Which was done, mutual respect.
  • Ā Thibeault then talked with Peter Kelly, expressed his desire to sit down with him to work out problems. Kelly smiled and shook his hand.
  • At that very moment the cops were showing up at Victoria Park.

haligonia.ca HalifaxHaligonia:

Waye MasonĀ WayeMason:

• For those keeping track, 1st notice to leave Vic Park was at noon, police started taking tents down at 2pm.Ā #halifaxĀ #nspoliĀ #occupyNSĀ #fb

Trevor J. AdamsĀ HalifaxMagazineĀ Trevor J. Adams

• Kind of an obvious thing to say but choosing today to try to evictĀ #occupynsĀ is one of the dumbest thingsĀ #HalifaxĀ govt has done in a while.
Leilani Graham-Laidlaw
Leilani Graham-Laidlaw
Leilani was Online Editor for Volume 144 of the Gazette.