HomeOpinionsICYMI: You don't have a boyfriend

ICYMI: You don’t have a boyfriend

Any other day of the year, you could be found lifting your $3 drink at Pacifico up on a Friday and shaking it out to Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.” But on Valentines Day, it can feel a little, well… different.

Valentine’s Day is a heart-felt, mushy day where you and your sweetheart can profess your love for each other with unjustifiably large stuffed animals clutching little hearts. There are the chocolates, the flowers, and the absolute unavoidable acknowledgement of being single if you’re without this holiday.

But fear not! Put down your phone from looking at long Facebook posts about your friends in love and don’t agree to that random Tinder date, because if you’re without a partner this year, grab your girlfriends. This year is all about Galentine’s Day.

To celebrate the year of the Galentine’s Day, here is a list of all the fun things to do in Halifax that will leave you far more satisfied and you won’t have to fake a thing!

• Go See a Movie:

The movies are a great place to get away from reality, and also allow you to be in the cover of darkness as you shove ungodly amounts of popcorn in your mouth all at once. This year, there’s “How to Be Single” starring Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson. The movie boasts that not only is it side-hurting hilarious, but it also attempts to give its audience lessons on independence. If a Rom-Com isn’t your thing, then go see “Deadpool” instead. It’s an action-packed comedy, with its lead character a not-your-average superhero. Also, it’s starring everybody’s second favorite Canadian Ryan: Ryan Reynolds!

• Galentine’s Day at The Company House:

The Company House is inviting all ladies to “kick it Knope style” and come rock out at their place with tickets at $10. The event is on February 13th with a start time of 8:00pm, and offers a large array of musical acts that will be performing acoustic renditions of their favorite gal songs. The night promises hits from Alanis Morrisette, Patsy Cline and Robyn.

• Take in the Theatre:

On February 14th, a very strong gal performance is gracing the Scotiabank Studio at Neptune Theatre. The play “Marion Bridge” is a story about three sisters who return home to Cape Breton to care for their sickly mother. The play’s description adds, that they are “trapped by life choices and unfulfilled expectations, the three women search for the courage to create a new family from the remnants of the old.” The play will be on-stage Feb.14 with two performance times of 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

• Feeling the Love: Fundraiser for Hospice Halifax at the Westin

If you feel like being generous (and also dressing up in cocktail apparel for a truly VIP night out) grab a ticket to the fundraiser for Hospice Halifax, “Feeling the Love” on Feb. 13. Hospice Halifax is an organization that is fundraising to create a residential hospice in Halifax for those who need end-of-life care. The event has an option to just attend its formal dance at 9 p.m. ($50), or have the three-course meal and dance ($109). The Mellotones and Sasha Muise will be providing live entertainment for the night.

• High Tea at The Old Apothecary Bakery & Café

According to their website, this event was “inspired by trips to the Gresham Hotel in Dublin and the Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC.” Tickets to the event are priced at $52.43, offering all services of an actual English High Tea. Best of all, this event will have those fancy little finger sandwiches! Ou la la! So if wearing a tea party dress and eating scones with clotted cream sounds like the perfect Galentine’s Day to you, then head down to the Old Apothecary for 2 p.m. on the 14th.

• Get your Sugar Fix:

Luckily (or not so lucky for those of you who diet), Halifax is at no shortage of places to get dessert. For Galentine’s, a trip to Sweethereafter for a slice of cinnamon roll cheesecake is must. If you’re vegan and have a sweet tooth, try The Wooden Monkey’s chocolate tofu pie to get your sugar fix. But perhaps one of the best places to get dessert in Halifax is The Middle Spoon, where it is totally acceptable to drink wine and eat a giant sundae at the same time.

• Dance the Night Away:

The 14th may fall on a Sunday this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t head downtown for a night of dancing with the girls. Halifax has some prime dance clubs, and on Sundays there are some good drink deals to match. If you’re looking to throw back some shots with your ladies, Reflections Cabaret has $2.75 well shots on Sundays from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. If you’re looking for less pop and more pub, then the Lower Deck not only has a live band, but $4 well shots and select cocktails for $5.50 from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Spending the night getting dolled-up with friends and heading downtown can be the perfect distraction from the holiday. Valentine-what?

• Stuff Your Face with a Delicious Meal

Eating good food is the answer to so many of a gal’s life problems, and in Halifax there are many places to grab a delicious meal and have a good time with friends. The Peanut Butter Burger at Darrell’s Restaurant is so good, you’ll be glad you came with the right crew. If you and your girlfriends are the brunch type, then head over to the Ardmore Tearoom to get the Lumberjack Special for only $10, and the best breakfast you’ve ever had. Need to opt for a vegetarian or vegan option? Salvatore’s Pizzeria in the hydrostone market offers a great selection of dietary alternatives and has the perfect atmosphere for catching up with friends. Best of all, you can finish off your yummy pizza with even yummier cannoli!

Whether you believe in Leslie Knope’s empowering ways of “ladies celebrating ladies” or Carrie Bradshaw’s philosophy that “our girlfriends are our soulmates, and guys are just people to have fun with,” be sure to forget all about the Hallmark holiday of Valentines Day and enjoy time with your gals this year. Just don’t forget that all of that unsold chocolate goes for clearance the next day.