Tuesday, March 19, 2024
HomeSportsBasketballThe Ticker (For the week ending Nov. 10)

The Ticker (For the week ending Nov. 10)

Ritchie Kanza Mata brings the ball up for the Tigers. (Photo by Chris Parent)

Basketball: AUS season tips off at Dalplex

The Dal Tigers men’s and women’s basketball seasons both opened with a two-game series agains UNB. The women’s team controlled the entire game on Friday Nov. 8, handling the Varsity Reds 81-55, buoyed by Tessa Stammberger’s 21 points and a double-double from Ainsley MacIntyre. Saturday’s tilt would swing in UNB’s favour, as the Tigers struggled with three-pointers, shooting just 2 of 19 from behind the arc.

The Rick Plato era did not get off to an ideal start, as the Varsity Reds swept the men’s team. Led by Kashrell Lawrence’s 25 points and 14 boards, the Tiger’s performance on Saturday, Nov. 9 was better, as the team was competitive through four quarters and overtime.

The Tigers fell to the Huskies in five sets. (Photo by Alice Hebb)

Women’s volleyball: Defending champs open at home

The Tigers kicked off a four-game homestand on Nov. 6 with a rematch of last year’s AUS championship against Saint Mary’s. However, the Huskies had the last laugh, rallying from two sets down to win 3-2. Abby Czenze and Marisa Mota contributed 50 assists and 22 digs respectively in the losing effort. The team would turn things around on Nov. 9, defeating CBU in straight sets as Desiree Nouwen landed 17 kills. The homestand continues Nov. 15 against Moncton.

Hockey: Brief silver lining for the black and gold

In a hockey season that has largely been underwhelming, the women’s team scored an emphatic win on Nov. 9 over Mount Allison, dropping the Mounties 6-2. Their road trip to New Brunswick would end on a bitter note, as the Tigers would lose the next day 5-2 against St. Thomas. On the men’s side, their game earlier in the week on Nov. 6 played out in the usual fashion: a loss and another Tiger receiving a 10-minute misconduct for a hit to the head.

Rookie Marita Alferi corrals the puck in a game earlier this month. (Photo by Chris Parent)
Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.