Friday, October 18, 2024
HomeArts & CultureAcres to Acres – All Nations

Acres to Acres – All Nations

By Janet DavieArts Contributor

Grade: B+

The relatively small but talented music scene of Halifax has churned out yet another gem: Acres and Acres’ All Nations. You may recognize Acres and Acres’ Kris Pope and Dave Scholten from touring with the rock band Down With the Butterfly. With Acres and Acres breakthrough album, the band proves that they too can hold their own in the spotlight.
All Nations is claimed to be inspired by Neil Young’s Harvest album and the Cowboy Junkies’ Trinity Sessions, and this album certainly falls under the same roots rock category. Other bands that come to mind include Iron and Wine and Ray LaMontagne. Another bonus of All Nations is that the band has kept true to their hometown roots, infusing plenty of East Coast flavour into every track.
Many of the songs, such as “Money”, “Joker” and “Dirty Dog” offer laid back rhythm with a dash of quirky songwriting. “All He Needs” is a bluesy tune that is easily the best track on the album due to its romantic and retro feel that is best listened while dancing cheek to cheek.
All in all, All Nations is a combination of relaxed melodies and thoughtful lyrics. With songs that blend seamlessly together, it’s easy to start at the beginning and mellow out all the way to the end of this LP.