Monday, July 15, 2024
HomeArts & CultureThe ultimate fall playlist

The ultimate fall playlist

Songs to listen to as fall comes to a close

As fall swiftly arrives and departs, I find myself wanting to preserve the tranquility the fleeting season brings. In an attempt to make the season last a little longer in my mind, I listen to songs that remind me of fall. 

Although my ultimate fall playlist spans hours, here are a handful of songs that hold a special place in my heart during this season. 

“Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane 

This song takes me back to a time when life wasn’t so hard. It evokes memories of innocence during simpler times, when the concept of forever held a sacred place and leaving everything behind was just a distant thought. 

This song is the ultimate nostalgic experience for youth left behind. For me, it is also an ode to a young love lost to the complexities of adulthood. 

“Leaving on a Jet Plane” by John Denver 

This is a timeless classic about the emotional complexity of departing from a loved one. The narrative and the emotional weight of goodbyes resonate with the seasonal changes and farewells as fall arrives. Fall signifies the beginning of my goodbyes to the people I have left behind at home as I go to another country to create a life of my own.

“Work Song” by Hozier 

Calling this song a masterpiece would be an understatement. 

Hozier signifies everything that fall is made of. Every single one of his songs holds the essence of fall. 

“Work Song” is a declaration of love and how love fills the singer with life. The melodic haunting atmosphere this song creates captures feelings of longing and admiration.

“Work Song” mirrors this spirit of reflection and contemplation. It encapsulates a season marked by change, self-discovery and a quiet yearning for something just out of reach.

“Chemtrails Over The Country Club” by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey is known for her dream-like, cinematic narratives in her songs. In “Chemtrails over the Country Club,” Del Rey portrays nostalgic imagery of the fading innocence of the past. 

The juxtaposing title signifies a contrast between the picturesque and the ominous, mirroring the dual nature of fall: beautiful foliage and the impending winter chill. 

“Upo” by Hatirpool Sessions

Bengali songs have always held a special place in my heart. “Upo” by Hatirpool Sessions is a song that consistently brings me a sense of serenity no matter how many times I listen to it. 

This song portrays one-sided love. 

The singer passionately expresses his love for someone who doesn’t reciprocate it, making heartfelt appeals for affection that go unanswered. The song’s portrayal of unrequited love, marked by relentless yet unfulfilled attempts, resonates deeply with the essence of fall, a season that often evokes feelings of longing and introspection.

While it may not be everyone’s preferred genre, the song’s poetic beauty and unwavering declarations of love capture the enduring desire for unrequited love.

While these are a few of my favourite songs to listen to during the fall, there are many more songs on my playlist. If you want more recommendations, here is my four-hour-long fall playlist: The Ultimate Fall Playlist.