Wednesday, July 24, 2024
HomeNewsFinkelstein criticizes Israel’s involvement in Gaza

Finkelstein criticizes Israel’s involvement in Gaza

Scholar advocates international non-violent resistance in support of Palestine

The lecture was organized by Independent Jewish Voices (Canada) and Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace.
The lecture was organized by Independent Jewish Voices (Canada) and Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace. • • • Photo by Jesse Ward

Norman Finkelstein says “the problem is not that the public is ignorant, but that it is inert. ”

Finkelstein is an American activist, author and professor renowned for his research on the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.

He was arrested in Israel in July after organizing a protest against the country’s military action in Gaza.

Speaking at Saint Mary’s University’s McNally Theatre Auditorium on Nov. 4, Finkelstein delivered a lecture, “Israel and Palestine: What Has Changed after Gaza 2014?”

Finkelstein’s lecture focused on criticisms of Israel’s lobby. He spoke about Israel’s military assault on Gaza earlier this year that killed over 2,150 people, according to the United Nations. He said Israel denounced Palestine for not agreeing to the terms of a ceasefire that “Hamas could never accept,” and that Israel strikes Palestine when international attention is distracted by other conflicts.

Finkelstein used the example of Israel’s ground invasion of Palestine occurring during the crash of Malaysian Airways flight MH17 in July 2014, which directed the attention of the media away from Gaza.

In response to Israel’s fear of Palestinian rocket attacks, he said, “there were no rockets in Gaza … there were enhanced Hamas fireworks, that’s all they were sending over.”

In order to gain Western support of Palestine, Finkelstein advocates a Palestinian protest at the Israeli-Palestine border.

“Politics is capitalizing on one’s own strengths and targeting one’s enemy’s weakness,” he said. “Palestine’s strengths are its strong will and commitment. Israel’s weakness is its violation of international law.”

After referencing Gandhi several times during his lecture, Finkelstein asked the world to “give massive non-violent resistance a chance.”

Finkelstein said he was “astonished” by the event’s turnout. He expected about 20 people to attend the lecture, while the 400-seat auditorium was at capacity.