Sunday, September 29, 2024
HomeSportsGuide to Dal Sport Clubs

Guide to Dal Sport Clubs

Tim van der Kooi, Staff Contributor

The Dalhousie Gazette wants to provide you not only with where to watch sports, but also where to play them yourself. Dalhousie has sport clubs beyond the basic intramural programs, and we’ve compiled some of them here. The list is in alphabetical order, so just roll down the list until you find your sport, sport.

Competitive

These sports are for the dedicated athlete. While most of these club teams encourage players of all skill levels to attend tryouts, they usually expect their players to have previous experience in a competitive league.

Baseball
Description: The Dalhousie Baseball Club plays in the Atlantic division of the Canadian Intercollegiate Baseball Association. Tryouts are held during the first week of September and the regular season runs from September to the end of October.
Why play? The club crams 16 games in one month, playing two doubleheaders each weekend. If you like competitive baseball and lots of it, this is the club for you.
Contact:  tm679891@dal.ca
Facebook? No.
(Full disclosure: Tim van der Kooi is president of the Dalhousie Baseball Club.)

Women’s Field Hockey

Description: Dalhousie’s field hockey team plays in the Maritime Field Hockey League from the middle of September until the end of October. Training and tryouts are held at the beginning of the school year.
Why play? The season is short but packed with games. Aside from the regular season of 12 games, the ladies usually participate in three other tournaments across the Maritimes.
Contact: Coach Linda Bonin, lamb01@eastlink.ca or Lauren Hutton,  horsefanatic_99@hotmail.com
Facebook? Yes.
Football
Description: Dalhousie’s newest and most anticipated club begins playing its first season in the Atlantic Football League on Sept.18. Training camp/tryouts begin on Sept. 1 and run until Sept. 12.
Why play? This is Dalhousie’s first football team in decades. The fan base should be large since Wickwire Field is spitting distance from all residences.
Contact: Jeff Pond, jsjpond@dal.ca or Rick Rivers,  fbrrivers@yahoo.ca  Facebook? Yes.
Men’s Lacrosse
Description: The Dalhousie Men’s Lacrosse team looks for their third championship in a row in the Maritime University Field Lacrosse League. The season starts at the beginning of September and runs into the early days of November.
Why play? Try to be a part of a modern dynasty.
Contact: Stephen Fyfe, fyfe_22@hotmail.com
Facebook? Yes

Women’s Rugby
Description: The Dalhousie Women’s Rugby Football Club is looking for players of all levels and abilities. Their season runs from the middle of September until the end of October. No previous experience is necessary to try out for the team. Please contact the club for more information.
Why play? Dalhousie needs complete gender dominance in the sport of rugby. Make it happen ladies.
Contact: Rory,  womendalrugby@gmail.com

Facebook? No

Men’s Rugby

Description: Entering its 129th season, the once-legendary Dal Rugby club has in recent years reutrned the ranks of Canda’s best varsity rugby squads. Dalhousie participates in two tiers of competition in the Rugby Nova Scotia University League. Both of these teams are defending Maritime champions in their respective divisions and enjoy a fierce rivalry with perennial Quebec-league champions the McGill Redmen.Their season runs from the second week of September until the end of October.

Why play? Your great grandparents may have played on this team. This is Dalhousie’s oldest club dating back to the year 1881.
Website:  www.dalrugby.com
Contact: Adam Sketchley, adam_sketchley@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Non-competitive

These clubs are for the recreational athlete. While most clubs offer competitive options such as university tournaments, the average player with little to no experience should feel welcome at any one of these clubs.

Badminton
Description: Membership in the Dalhousie Badminton Club is open to Dal students and Dalplex members, regardless of ability, who are interested in playing badminton.
Why play? Relive your high school gym class each week.
Contact: Steve Foster, aq628@chebucto.ns.ca

Facebook? No.

Dal Board Club

Description: One of the most active club on campus DalBoard will get you in touch with the student surf, snowboard and skateboard communities. Good resource for finding rides to the beach, coordinating weekend ski trips, and hosting related events on campus and around Halifax.

Why join? Mexico surf trip over Christmas break.

Contact: dalboardsociety@gmail.com

Facebook? Yes.

Cheerleading
Description: The Dal Cheer team has been around since 2008 and this is its first year as a recreational club. No cheering experience necessary.
Why cheer? The lonesome Dalhousie Tiger needs some company.
Websitehttp://dalcheer.weebly.com/index.html

Contact:dalcheer@gmail.com

Facebook? Yes.

Dalhousie Curling Club
Description: The Dalhousie Curling Club curls once a week at the Halifax Curling Club starting in late October and running until mid April.
Why curl? You want to holler and drink beer with the respect and admiration of your peers.
Contact: Karen,  k.e.m.smith@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Dalhousie Dance Society
Description: The DalDance society offers dance classes for jazz, ballet, modern, hip-hop and many other styles throughout its weekly schedule. No dance experience necessary, just be ready to move.
Why dance? You need to work and practice on your night moves.
Website:  http://societies.dsu.ca/daldance
Contact:  daldance@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Fencing

Description: The Dal Fencing team meets in the dance studio of the Studley Gym for their practices and sparring. They participate in numerous tournaments in Nova Scotia and they host an annual fencing tournament. Basic gear is provided for fencers. New fencers are encouraged to take the fencing course from the Dalplex.
Why fence? You want to make chivalry popular again.

Contact: Mike Casey, mcasey@ap.smu.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Figure Skating
Description: The Dalhouise Figure Skating club meets several times a week for practices in the Dal Arena. Members can participate in local tournaments if they choose. The club encompasses all levels of skaters.

Why skate? Once you reach a certain level you can skate without a helmet at the Dal Arena!
Contact:  am260573@dal.ca

Facebook? No.

Judo
Description: The Dal Judo club meets three times a week at the Dalplex Fieldhouse. Everybody is welcome to attend. If you think you’re good enough you can enter into tournaments.
Why play? Paint the fence. Wax on, wax off.
Website:  http://dalhousiejudoclub.dsu.dal.ca/.

Contact: Paul,  p1476215@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Kayaking
Description: The Dalhousie Kayaking Club provides members with previous paddling experience an opportunity to hone their skills during the school year.  It also offers lessons to those with no previous paddling experience the chance to learn the basic strokes and rolls.
Why kayak? Can’t escape the allure of this cottage activity.
Contact:  dks@dal.ca

Facebook? No.

Master’s Swim

Description: The Master’s Swim team offers intensive practices for experienced and non-experienced swimmers.
Why swim? You’ve started the Michael Phelps diet and you need to work off around 10,000 calories.

Contact: Brian Todd,  brian.todd@nrcan.gc.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Dal Sailing
Description: The Dal Sailing club calls the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron its home. They are associated with the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association. Recreational sailing is available for Dalhousie students with or without sailing experience.
Why sail? Beat Harvard.
Contact: Dave Castle,  david.castle@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Scuba Diving
Description: The Dalhousie Scuba Club meets on the weekends to organize dives for beginners.  However, you must be at least Open Water Certified to dive with the club. You can get this certification by taking a course at Torpedo Ray’s in Halifax.
Why dive? It’s a whole other world down there.
Contact:  scuba@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Squash
Description: The Dalhousie Squash club plays with Squash Nova Scotia in the humid depths of the Dalplex. For beginners an introductory lesson is available. For experienced players there is a tier system amongst members.
Why play? You can meet a lot of people. They have are the largest squash club in Atlantic Canada, boasting 80 members.
Website:  www.dalsquash.ca
Contact: David Westwood,  david.a.westwood@gmail.com

Facebook? Yes.

Table Tennis
Description: The Dalhousie Table Tennis club meets two to three times a week to play the glorious sport we usually call ping pong. Ranging from casual playing in the evenings to tournaments, players of all levels are welcome to attend.
Why play? You want to engage in those epic battles that take place 40 feet off the table and into the stands.
Contact: Kevin Chong,  Hkv551436@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Tennis
Description: Members of the Dalhousie Tennis Club play on the tennis courts in front of Sherriff Hall. There is a tier ladder for experienced players and practices for players with little experience.
Why play? It’s free!
Website:  www.tennis.dsu.dal.ca
Contact:  jbaptist@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Ultimate Frisbee
Description: The Dalhousie-King’s Ultimate Frisbee team (DKUT) plays several times a week in early September. They have a men’s and a women’s team which both enter into the national tournament. The team also participates in other tournaments around Nova Scotia.
Why play? From what I’ve gathered, the drinking afterwards is just as important as playing.
Website:  http://dkut.brokenultimate.com/
Contact:  Jackson.byrne@gmail.com

Facebook? Yes.

Water Polo
Description: The Dalhousie Water Polo team is open to swimmers of all levels. They practice in scrimmage games on Fridays and attend four tournaments a year. The level of commitment is up to you.
Why play? The novelty factor alone is worth a visit.
Website:  http://dalhousiewaterpoloassociation.dsu.dal.ca/
Contact:  waterpolo@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

Wushu
Description: The Dalhousie Wushu Club is a recreational club that teaches, trains and promotes the Chinese martial art of Wushu. It’s a pretty flashy way of kicking ass, look up a video sometime.
Why kick ass?  Just watch a video and you`ll know why.
Contact: Rachel Doucet, rachel.doucet@dal.ca or Kimberley Ekstrand,  km608327@dal.ca

Facebook? Yes.

A full list of sport clubs can be found on the Athletics Department website at  www.athletics.dal.ca.