HomeArts & CultureA part of the whole

A part of the whole

Tatyana Abel observes the exhibition at NSCAD. (Natalie McDonald photo)

The Anna Leonowens Gallery is a public exhibition space primarily showcasing the work of NSCAD students. It’s also known for exhibitions including visiting artists, faculty, and graduate thesis students. The gallery mounts 125 exhibitions annually on average, with shows changing on a weekly basis. For many NSCAD students their first exhibitions take place in this gallery, and students learn the full extent of what it takes to make an exhibition happen.

Though the application process is competitive, the students chosen have freedom to display the exhibition of their dreams. Melanie Colosimo, the exhibitions coordinator, and Eleanor King, the gallery director, recognize the necessity for the students at NSCAD to have a gallery space. Whether that involves building a house in the gallery space or adhering latex paint and plaster to the walls, the gallery staff ensure that students have the tools, assistance and space to make their exhibition visions a reality.

The gallery also offers semester-long internships for students like me who are perusing a career within gallery and museum stewardship. In addition to working in the galley and understanding the full extent of what is involved in the function of this type of space, I have also been fortunate for the responsibility to organise and curate the NSCAD Graduation Exhibition.

This annual exhibition displays the work produced by graduating students from all departments. For me, this exhibition offers me the ability to make the decisions and get first-hand experience on organising an exhibition, which as a student is a phenomenal opportunity. It’s positions like these that will get me those future jobs and get me into my career sooner. In addition to this exhibition an intern produces a catalogue, which covers the design elements of the show. Current design intern for the Gradation Exhibition, Sebastian Pratt-Troy, explains why this internship has been important to him.

“This opportunity to create the NSCAD exhibition catalogue gives me the opportunity to execute a real world project, something that resembles the work I will be doing after I’ve graduated NSCAD. Much like the fine art students exhibiting at the gallery, as a graphic design student this internship allows me to expose my weaknesses, in addition to my strengths, which will allow me to develop effectively as I progress in my studies.”

Currently NSCAD is undergoing stress by the provincial government to implement cost-cutting opportunities or risk losing their independence. This would include staff and faculty reductions, course changes and fee increases. As a transfer student, when I was applying for universities last year, many people discouraged me from attending a school undergoing funding issues.

Though NSCAD is regarded as a very prestigious institution, this lack of government support tarnishes the university for future applicants. As NSCAD goes through these negotiations, I hope that it is recognized that the Anna Leonowens Gallery is an essential part of the whole, and is part of what makes NSCAD the renowned institution it is. Less funding results in a slow suffocation of the institution, including places like the Anna Leonowens Gallery.