HomeArts & CultureMixing art and cuisine

Mixing art and cuisine

New downtown restaurant offers more than just food

Shannon Galley, Arts Contributor

Mix Fresh Kitchen is a new restaurant located on Salter Street in downtown Halifax.  Though the restaurant has no food specialization, they try to provide a local atmosphere, as well as using many local ingredients. Mix Fresh Kitchen showcases the work of local artists throughout the dining and bar area.

Trevor Drane is a manager at Mix Fresh Kitchen and says that the idea to showcase local artists work was an idea before the restaurant opened.

“We look for something different when it comes to the artwork,” Drane says. “The major push is for local artists to be showcased.”

Mix Fresh Kitchen opened Sept.18, 2010. The art currently displayed in the restaurant is by Chris Foster and Kate Macleod. These are the first two artists whose work the restaurant has put on display. Drane says that they are looking to change the artwork fairly soon, and in the future they want to change the artwork more frequently to showcase a wider range of local artists.

“The idea is that every time you come in again, we want you to see something different.”

Chris Foster’s art has also been featured at Nocturne 2010 and the Gallon Gallery.

“I was excited to show my work at Mix Fresh,” Foster said in an email. “It’s a great opportunity to show artwork to an audience that may not go into galleries. Mix has been great to open their space to local artists, and their space is well suited to the showing of some kinds of visual art.”

Mix Fresh Kitchen’s cuisine is described as ‘casual dining with elegant looking food.’ They don’t seek out certain artwork styles, but they do look for different pieces that standout, with the big emphasis being that the art is local.

“We want everyone to feel comfortable here.” Drane says.

The restaurant has no particular food specialization but tries to use as many fresh and local ingredients as much as possible. Their menu contains everything from burgers to lamb and lobster tails.

Drane says that they have had many inquiries from local artists about displaying their work at Mix Fresh Kitchen. The restaurant hasn’t made any final decisions yet for the next round of local art to be displayed.

Mix Fresh Kitchen doesn’t actively advertise the artwork, but there is a section on their website devoted to art and culture which lets the public know what work is being displayed at that time.

“The response to the artwork so far, has been good. People know about it and we try to do our best to mention it, or point it out and explain it to people.”