HomeNewsNews Briefs

News Briefs

By Yehia Abdelkader (News Contributor) and Torey Ellis (News Editor)

Gazette LogoBringing in support from the Big Apple

The Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market is hiring a consultant from New York to attract more interest to the facility, according to the *Chronicle Herald*. Chris de Waal, president and chairman of the market, told the *Herald* he believes the successful work of the New York firm in other cities will help with the market’s declining popularity.

There has been a decrease in the number of customers visiting the market since the market moved to its new spot on Pier 21 and became a six-day per week operation. The move also acquired a substantial amount of debt. Some vendors still continue to ply their wares at the old Brewery Market on Lower Water Street on Saturdays, more than a year after the move.

Halifax’s R&B singer doesn’t forget his roots

Halifax’s own R & B singer Jordan Croucher, a.k.a. JRDN, is crediting the community YMCA for guiding him in the right direction, says the *Chronicle Herald.* Now residing in Toronto, JRDN was back on Saturday to perform at a fundraiser dinner and auction for the YMCA gymnasium renovation project.

According to the *Herald,* JRDN acknowledges the role models and coaches he had in the community, and says he owes much of his success to what he learned at the facility. It took no arm-twisting to bring JRDN back to give back to his community.

200 arrested in OWS Day of Action

Thousands of protestors marched through the financial district of New York City Nov. 18 to mark two months since the Occupy movement first began.

The march came after the previous week’s eviction of Zuccotti Park, where Occupiers had been camping out. Over 200 were arrested on the Day of Action, to join the hundreds arrested since the first march in September.

The day ended with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, where protestors kept to the sidewalks to avoid police action. One of the goals of the march had been to shut down the stock exchange for the day, but the trading centre did open on time.