Monday, July 15, 2024
HomeNewsAtlanticPreparing for stormy September weather

Preparing for stormy September weather

clouds-of-irene stock photo
Stock photo: http://publicdomainpictures.net

Is it really worth the effort?

Hurricane Irene has come and gone, but storm season in Halifax is far from over: September is peak time for rain and wind.

And while students in residence might not have to worry about storm sewers flooding into basements or insurance coverage for fallen trees, it’s a very real concern for the rest of the city.

Henry Blumenthal of TD Insurance says it’s important to take inventory. “Make a list of all your valuables and be sure to include the date purchased, brand names and serial numbers and keep it in a safe water-proof container,” he says.

While it’s unlikely that most students will take that kind of action, a list of valuables can come in handy when a storm ruins the contents of your closet and you’re left guessing for the insurance money.

Dal student Tessa Eisenberg took inventory of everything she left in her basement apartment when she chose to sublet her place for the summer, “just in case.”

As it turned out, the early August storms flooded the place and Eisenberg’s list was a lot more useful than she had planned, giving a point of reference for recovering lost items.

That being said, in terms of actual destruction Halifax has a history of getting fairly lucky.

Hurricane Juan in 2003 was the worst the province has experienced, with two deaths and over 100,000 without power.

Sheltered in the harbour, Halifax rarely gets the same sort of damage that decentralized and coastal communities do. They are often hit head on, while Halifax is often only brushed.

That’s not to say that harbour storms have no consequences; Eisenberg can attest to that. But it’s more likely to be shorted electronics than death and destruction, and that’s something to remember.

Torey Ellis
Torey Ellis
Torey was the Copy Editor of the Gazette for Volume 145 and Assistant News Editor for Volume 144.