Wednesday, July 24, 2024
HomeOpinionsFrom the Archives: A century of 'staches

From the Archives: A century of ‘staches

We are now firmly in the middle of Movember, and the campus teems with candidates for membership in the prestigious ranks of Lester’s Moustache Club.

What’s that—you say you’re not familiar with Lester or his Moustache Club?

A history lessor is in order. In honour of our noble modern moustacheteers, let’s take a look back a century of Dalhousie ‘staches.

Movember: 1924 Edition

“Pine Hill Post” Volume 56, Issue 17 November 26, 1924

Yes, Ted Cumming started it. No one now denies that he left off shaving his upper lip at least one month before Edwin Johnstone decided to grow his moustache. Undoubtably, Ted would have been the instigator of the new “Moustache Club” had he not been hindered by the fact that he could never succeed in growing more than thirteen and a half hairs on the left side of his upper lip. All this of course is ancient history. Both had been experimenting for months. It was not until yesterday that Edwin finally achieved his object, when Bert Moore asked him if there were not some hairs on his lip. Just at this psychological moment, Harold Coffin, happening along, declared that only last night a girl had told him that kissing a man without a moustache is like eating an egg without salt. Thereupon, like gallant gentlemen they decided to organize a moustache club for the benefit of the fair sex. Bill Richardson welcomed it as a God-send, saying that if a moustache made such a difference, he might be able to regain some of his lost prestige. The organization already claims a membership of about twenty. Still, do not be too optimistic girls. It may be several months before any result is apparent.

“Pine Hill Post” Volume 56, Issue 18 December 3, 1924

Dumphy is leading the Moustache Growing Competition by at least half an inch. Gerry Olmstead has dropped out of the race. “Some ‘men’”, says Gerry, “are afflicted with a bald head: I am afflicted with a bald face.”

Lester, lord of the ‘Stache

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 1.22.23 AM

Ernest Lester was the caretaker of the old Arts Building (now the location of the University Club) from 1922-1947. He was something of a campus icon, and known for his meticulously groomed moustache.

“The Second Book of Bunc” Volume 65, Issue 12 January 25, 1933

1. And the tribe of the Employeez also doth dwell in the land of Dal and they are an industrious people. They look after the institutions of the land.

2. Who knoweth not of Lester, father of the Moustache Kloob? For is it not he who prepareth the tables in the geem on those dreaded
days twice during the year and for them who participate in the Suppes?

“The Observer” – Volume 67, Issue 1 – October 4, 1934

But who should be the center of the crowd’s attention? The Observer moved closer. It was none other than Lester, the Arts Building brain-trust, elucidating on the merits of our new common room. Observer had just arrived in time, for with a flick of the well-groomed moustache and a paternal twinkle in the eye, Lester concluded: “and if you must play cards, don’t let it be anything stronger than Old Maids.”

“Pine Hill on Parade” – Volume 67, Issue12 – January 17, 1935

All of the Theologs attending a 2:30 class on Tuesday afternoon were shocked to see the sight of two beds, complete with pillows and mattresses, two easy chairs and a floor-lamp, placed conspicuously near the door of the hallowed Arts Building. Lester was surrounded by excited, gesticulating persons, who demanded an explanation. The noble gentleman’s moustache bristled at the thought of potential immorality going on under his roof. A long conference with Prof. Theakston followed, and Lester won his point. The articles were removed to the Forrest Building, where they belonged, and the reputation of Studley was saved.

“Facts, Fables, Foibles” – Volume 68, Issue 2 – October 4, 1935

The papers tell us that crops in Florida and the West Indies have been damaged by hurricanes but there seems to have been no damage to the upper lip foliage-for, as far as we know, no razors have been applied and despite comment all involved seem to be bearing up well.

The past season must have been a good one but much daily care must be taken before any new members can be admitted to the LESTER MOUSTACHE CLUB.

John Hillman
John Hillman
John Hillman is the Gazette's Opinions Editor. John is a second-year law student, but he has been at Dalhousie for much longer than that. Recently discovered cave paintings indicate he was first observed lurching around campus by Halifax’s original human settlers some time during the late Pleistocene epoch. He started writing for the Gazette back when you were in elementary school, but he unexpectedly went off the grid a half-decade ago to concentrate on helping found Punditry.ca, a DSU-focused political blog. Where exactly was he hiding between the years 2009-2013? Certain individuals would prefer he not comment. Why has he returned? Not because of a top-secret Illuminati indoctrination project known only as the Omega Initiative, that’s for sure. You can email John at opinions@dalgazette.com.