Monday, July 15, 2024
HomeSportsDal men’s basketball preparing for rebound season

Dal men’s basketball preparing for rebound season

With fresh faces and a new style, the Tigers are ready to get back to being kings of the court

The Dalhousie University men’s basketball team is looking to dominate the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) division this season after losing to the University of Prince Edward Island in the semi-finals last year

“Last year was a bit of a disappointment for us,” said Sam Maillet, a fourth-year guard. “We’ve done some reworking of how we play and how we expect to play and I think these changes that we’ve made will put us in a good spot, come March.”

The team is looking to play a faster, more physical and more intense game this year, something their veteran players will have to adjust to. 

“We’re gonna play a fun, fast-paced game that will be exciting to watch,” said Maillet. “I think we’re going to have to work on figuring out what works for us early on and sticking to it while being able to make adjustments.”

Having placed first in the AUS standings in five out of the last seven seasons, the Tigers have high expectations for themselves. 

“The biggest lesson we could use from last year is playing like every game is our last,” said Alex Ruiz, a third-year wing. “We’ve won the AUS so many times, so we’re the team to beat. We have to always be ready to stand for Dalhousie University because we’re playing for every student here.” 

Out of province preparation

The Tigers have started off their preseason by visiting teams from other divisions in order to play the best of the best. 

“I think what our coach wants from the preseason is for us to go out and play some of the best teams in the country… so we’re ready for our season here,” said Ruiz.

While travelling takes a toll on the team, Malcolm Christie, a third-year guard, thinks it’s a good learning experience for the players. 

“It’s good for our whole team, but especially young guys, to get used to being on the road,” said Christie. “When we go away, we fly out that day, so we have to learn how to mentally prepare to lock in that same day we travelled.”

Christie also thinks travelling this much makes for good team bonding time, which is important for the Tigers right now since eight of their 17 players are rookies. 

“I think every year when you have a new team, but especially when you have a team as young as ours right now, it’s good for those guys to get used to new faces and travelling, but also getting used to playing with us,” he said. 

However, travelling can be tough on the team, especially with school picking up. 

“It’s definitely not easy,” said Maillet. “It’s a lot of getting homework done in airports but all that travel time makes for great team bonding so there’s pros and cons for sure.”

The team’s current preseason record is five wins and three losses (5-3), most recently beating Lakehead University 90-80 in their first home game since mid-August. 

Fresh faces

With so many new players, it’s been important for Tigers veterans like Maillet, Ruiz and Christie to step up and be leaders on the team. 

“In first year, I was lucky enough to play with some really good players, but also just some really great leaders and guys that I still call friends,” said Maillet. “It’s really fun now being in a position of leadership where I’m thinking how I can make this the best for these new guys.”

Despite having so many fresh faces, the team has still managed to pull through in tough games and get up even when they’re down. 

“We had a really gritty win against Guelph that was close up until the last thirty seconds and I think the guys really bought it in and buckled down,” said Christie. “I think that was a pretty good tell of our team character.”

Ruiz also spoke to the team’s character, mentioning how hard-working the new players are. 

“They’re all really good,” said Ruiz. “They aren’t scared. They’re ready to shoot and play and work hard in practice so I’m really impressed.”The Tigers will be heading to Montreal this weekend to play in the McGill Basketball Classic with some of the biggest universities across the country, including McGill University and the University of British Columbia Okanagan.