HomeSportsHockeyOne-goal weekend for women’s hockey

One-goal weekend for women’s hockey

The Tigers want to keep their focus on the ice amid hazing allegations. (Chris Parent photo)
Moncton scores one of their three goals in their season-opening victory over Dal. (Chris Parent photo)

It was a tough weekend at home for the Dalhousie women’s hockey team. The Tigers fell 3-1 to Moncton at the Halifax Metro Center on Oct. 20 before losing 4-0 to St. Thomas the next afternoon at the Halifax Forum.

At their home opener last Saturday, Sarah MacNeil scored Dal’s only goal 13 minutes into the third period. Moncton had already scored twice by then, and Catherine Dumas scored for the visitors in the final minute to secure the win.

The Tigers came back ready to play the next day, but were blown away in the first period. St. Thomas’ Katie Brewster scored twice. Then Stephanie Gates and Cassidy McTaggart both beat the keeper to give the Tommies a 4-0 lead by the end of the first period.

The Tigers regrouped, conceding no goals in the remaining two periods. Head coach Sean Fraser says that won’t be enough going forward.

“We need to put some pucks in the net,” he says. “It’s hard to win with only one goal in the weekend.

“I thought we came out flat in the first period, and even in the second. We had a bit better third, but we obviously have work to do.”

“But,” he adds, “next weekend’s another week.”

The team declined to comment on recent hazing allegations brought forth by a first-year player, focusing instead on finding a winning strategy.

Forward Sarah McVey says a strong start to the game is key.

“We just need to start getting some more chances in the first period so we’re not down by a couple goals after 20 minutes. So, just putting together 60 minutes of strong play the whole game.”

McVey, a fifth-year Tiger, says there’s plenty of time to improve.

“I think we’re doing well so far, and working as a team really well,” she says.

“We’re having a bit of a slow start, but it’s only been a couple of games, so we’re not going to push the panic button right now.”

The team takes on UPEI next in away action on Friday, Oct. 26. The next day the Tigers battle Mount Allison.