HomeSportsBasketballQuebec b-ball rise to their own huge expectations

Quebec b-ball rise to their own huge expectations

By Ian Froese, Staff Contributor

Team Quebec entered their game versus British Columbia with the two largest blowouts of the tournament. They left the game having surpassed their record.

Quebec slaughtered British Columbia to a 51-point victory of 90 – 31 in front of a Quebec-dominant crowd of over 100 at Citadel High School. The two-time defending champions are undefeated and will remain so on Tuesday against New Brunswick, baring a catastrophe.

“We didn’t play well against Alberta,” said Quebec star Maxime Poulin. “Because of that we were really well prepared and pumped up for this game.”

Although Quebec handily defeated Alberta 66 – 21 earlier in the day, Quebec’s high expectations demonstrate that a lopsided score against an easy province is not always suitable enough for the team.

Quebec bounced back—in their minds—courtesy of an impressive 24 points from Poulin in just 14 minutes of play. Francis Vallée assisted with 14 points and 6 helpers. Gabrielle Cote sunk 14 more en-route to the victory.

Fans pleading for a competitive contest did not receive it from a Quebec squad whose passion did not waver. Bench players chanted, team supporters rang cowbells and the wave was even attempted in the dying minutes of the contest.

Poulin explained the team is aggressively fighting for each ball to prepare themselves for the semifinals and beyond.

“We have to keep the intensity up for the whole game,” he said. “Or else, those little mistakes will show up in bigger games.”

Outclassed throughout, British Columbia has slim pickings when it comes to positives to take from the game. However their fourth quarter victory, 15 – 14, was a silver lining to their setback.

“We have to take our intensity from the end of the game, and try to carry it on,” said the team’s point-leader, Matt Ficocelli. He snagged 12 points. None of his teammates exceeded nine.

BC’s 2 – 1 record will be finalized Tuesday after they play Saskatchewan in both teams’ fourth and final preliminary game.