HomeSportsSports Weekend Wrap-up

Sports Weekend Wrap-up

By Dylan Matthias, Sports Editor

Tigers win on the road

The Tigers men’s hockey team took two points from the powerful Acadia Axemen last Saturday night in Wolfville.

Third-period goals less than a minute apart from Jacob Johnston and Brad McConnell gave Dal the win. Josh Disher made his first start, making 42 saves in the win.

Mt. A knot up the AUS football conference

The Mounties showed up at Raymond Field on homecoming weekend and beat Acadia 20 – 7 as Gary Ross returned to the lineup.

The game was Acadia’s big chance to move into sole possession of top spot in the league. Instead, it’s now a three-way mess with Acadia, SMU, and Mt. Allison all waiting for the last two weeks of the season to figure this all out. The Axemen won’t have it easy now, needing two points from Saint Mary’s on Oct. 30 and likely a win over St. FX next week to get a playoff bye.

Saint Mary’s lose to St. FX at home

Fresh off a 5–0 pounding of the Tigers, Saint Mary’s men’s hockey lost a lot of their national champion swagger with a 4–2 loss to the X-Men. Spencer McAvoy’s powerplay goal in the third gave St. FX the game.

Saint Mary’s were one-for-eight on the powerplay at the Forum.

UNB shocked by UPEI

Goals 1:38 apart in the second period from Brandon Biggers and Graham McNabb were enough for the Panthers to overcome the much-hyped Varsity Reds last Friday on the Island. The loss means we won’t have to endure six more months of stories about their winning streak ending.

The Reds responded well enough on Saturday, scoring seven and allowing only one against St. Thomas.

Another bad weekend for the Capers

It’s been a season to forget for the powerful Cape Breton Capers men’s soccer team. Expected to contend for a place at nationals, they’re now sitting on the playoff bubble with a 3-3-3 record after a draw and a loss last weekend.

After dropping two points at home to UNB in a 1–1 draw, they proceeded to lose to St. FX 2–0.

The losses mean it’s unlikely Cape Breton will top 21 points after a 30-point season last year.

Saint Mary’s drop points on the rock

What was an AUS-banner contending season for the Huskies has dropped to an AUS runner-up season after they dropped two points to Memorial last weekend.

After beating the Seahawks 2–0 on Saturday, the Huskies were held to a 0–0 draw on Sunday.

The result puts them seven points back of the lead having played one more game than everyone around them. Dal and UNB could pass Saint Mary’s if the Huskies continue their rough form.

Acadia basketball win, so does SMU

It wasn’t all losing for the Axemen this weekend–the basketball team beat Lakehead University 72–70 and Bishop’s 85–60 last weekend in exhibition games.

The Huskies also played Lakehead and Bishop’s on their eastern tour, scoring 104 points in both meetings, beating Lakehead 104–94 and Bishop’s 104–62.