HomeSportsSoccerThree goals again for Dal

Three goals again for Dal

By Dylan Matthias, Sports Editor

It was three goals again for the Tigers women’s soccer team last Saturday at Wickwire. They took out the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds 3–0.

The stands were filled with parents coming out to watch the final home game of the season and the final home appearance for a large core of Tigers.

Co-captains Jeanette Huck (full back) and Kate MacDonald (striker) will be gone next year, as will Katie Richard (striker), Sarah Mitchell (holding midfield), Kim Hardy (defense), and possibly Amanda Henry (central defense).

“It was a very emotional day,” said MacDonald.

Mitchell rose to the occasion, scoring Dal’s second goal and creating loads of chances all afternoon on the left side. Jeanette Huck also gave Dal fans a memorable send off from the Huck dynasty, scoring the other two goals. Jeanette is the last Huck to play for Dal after sisters Tonya and Leanne both starred for the Tigers.

Huck won Dal a penalty in the 25th minute, crossing off the outstretched arm of Sacha Demers before rolling a soft shot under goalkeeper Erica Ermen from 12 yards.

Mitchell’s goal was a beautiful one. Breaking in from the left just after half-time, she collected the ball from a fallen Anna McKilligan and cut past Maura Carter before setting the ball on her strong foot to roll home past Ermen.

Huck scored again in the 81st minute, showing what she’s capable of offensively when allowed to run forward into a striker’s position, as Hutchison allowed on Saturday by inserting Andi Vanderlann at full back. Amanda Henry lobbed a long ball forward and a defensive miscue between Ermen and her defenders left the UNB keeper stranded and Huck with all day to tap it in.

The Tigers have yet to face much adversity this year, and they will undoubtedly face some tests at AUS playoffs Nov. 3-5 at Acadia in Wolfville.

“I don’t think it’ll affect us,” said MacDonald. “We know that we have the best team. In the first half of the season we knew that, too, but the hard work wasn’t there. The hard work is there now and we’re all working together as a team, so I think we can overcome anything, whether it be a goal, whether it be two goals, or whether we keep winning three, nothing. We can handle any team in this league.”

It’s the veteran’s last chance to win a banner with Dal. None of Huck, MacDonald, Richard or Henry have ever won AUS despite numerous winning seasons with the Tigers.

“We need an AUS championship this year,” said Huck, who has no plans to keep playing.

“Regular season means nothing,” said MacDonald. “If you don’t win in playoffs you may as well have lost every single game. I haven’t won a banner and it’s killing me. It honestly is killing me. I really want a banner.”

Both Huck and MacDonald plan to keep playing for their club team, Halifax Dunbrack, who are this year’s national champions.

“I’ll probably play all winter and then all summer … I’m not going to stop,” said Huck.