HomeSportsSoccerTigers defeat powerful Capers

Tigers defeat powerful Capers

by Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor

The Dalhousie Tiger’s women’s soccer team beat the Cape Breton Capers 2-0 last Saturday at Wickwire field, sending the Capers home with a 1-2 record.

“I thought the first half was a little rough, but I think after we switched up the formation and every one played together in the second half it turned into a really great game” said Katie Richard.

It was a tale of two halves for Jack Hutchison, head coach of the Tigers. The first half of the game was not a good one for him. The Capers were the dominant team and the Tigers just couldn’t find their game.

“The girls couldn’t string three passes together; it was rushing and everything. The second half was: settle the ball down. People started to get in position and have confidence in one another and the game in the second half got very easy and it was really nice to watch, on our behalf,” said Hutchison.

Jeanette Huck opened the scoring in the 54th minute, when the ball bounced off the crossbar. Huck took advantage and kicked the ball in the net. With the Tigers struggling to score this season, the goal could not have come at a better time.

The second goal of the game was scored by Richard, in the 75th minute. Only a few minutes after scoring her first goal Richard nearly made it 3-0 for the Tigers but her shot missed the net.

“I think we came out strong, but we just didn’t carry our momentum until the end,” said Nichole Morrison of the Capers.

The Capers were missing Alyssa Budhoo and Sabina Solymar, arguably two of their best forwards.

“I know they lost a lot of players but we didn’t underestimate them at all, they do have good players coming up, we were just ready to play our game,” said Richard.

Although the Tigers were expecting the Capers to come out strong they did not prepare any differently then they would have for any other game said Hutchison.

“Our quote this week was not to be better then your opponents but to be better than yourselves so that was where our focus was: improving our game in the things that we have to do. We are still early in the season, only 3 games in, it’s still September and like I say to the girls: I don’t want my best game to be in the second week of September, we have to continue to improve individually and as a team. Improve our personal performance. We were very, very concentrated on what we had to do.”