HomeSportsTigers lacrosse to host league championships

Tigers lacrosse to host league championships

By Ryan Lum, Staff Contributor

With a 12–11 victory over St. Mary’s Huskies last Sunday, Dal lacrosse propelled itself to the top of the league standings and into prime position for next weekend’s Maritime University Field Lacrosse League (MUFLL) championship tournament to be held at Wickwire field.

Battling neck and neck with St. Mary’s for league supremacy over the past month, the win squeaked the Tigers two points ahead of the Huskies on the season, giving them the bye to play the fourth-place contender, to be decided this weekend when the Mount Allison Mounties play the Acadia Laxmen.

The other semi-final will feature SMU and the St. FX X-Men, two very capable squads who split victories the two times they met this season.

“I wouldn’t put odds on either of those teams,” said Tigers coach Rob Griffith. “They’re equally talented and whoever wins is going to be a challenge for the team they face in the finals.”

Whoever the Tigers play in the semis, the statistics favour a Dal win. During the regular season, the Tigers won all games they played against both Mt. A and Acadia, outscoring them a combined 73-17. Without any injuries to hinder them, Griffiths says his team is feeling confident going in.

“We just have to keep playing the kind of game we’ve been playing: aggressive but smart. We have to play that way even when we have the lead.”

The MUFLL championship weekend kicks off Saturday, Nov. 6 at 12:30 p.m., when the SMU Huskies take on the St. FX X-Men in the first semi-final. The second semi-final will be at 3:00 p.m. between the Dalhousie Tigers and the winner of the fourth vs. fifth play-off. There will be an awards banquet on the Saturday evening, time and location to be announced. Sunday will feature the league annual general meeting at 9 a.m. and then the championship game at noon. All games will be at Wickwire field.