Tuesday, July 16, 2024
HomeSportsHockeyWeekend wrap-up

Weekend wrap-up

By Dylan Matthias, Sports Editor

Dal men lose to St. FX
Defensive blunders sunk the Tigers last Saturday in Antigonish. Kieran Gilfoy and Jamar Dixon scored for the X-Men, both goals coming off of poorly defended long throws from Miroslav Novak.
St. FX also beat Acadia 2 – 0 last Friday night.

Memorial men lose, Cape Breton held to draw in men’s soccer
It was not a good weekend for the Seahawks. A 4–0 drubbing by Moncton, followed by a torrid showing against UNB last Saturday has ended the Seahawk’s promising start.
The UNB loss saw Memorial behind only five minutes in to a Galen Smith goal. Shea Nordheim also scored for the Varsity Reds to make it 2 – 0, a scoreline that could have been much more lopsided if UNB had finished better.
Sunday saw Memorial drop two valuable points to Mt. Allison, a 2–2 draw in one of the few winnable games this year for the Seahawks.
The Cape Breton Capers were held to a surprise 1–1 draw by Moncton last Saturday. The defending champions responded well on Sunday, however, beating UNB in Fredericton 2–0.
UPEI took six points from their weekend with two valuable road wins over Mt. Allison and Acadia.

Richard, Landry score in 3–0 win over X-Women
The Tigers’ women’s soccer team took advantage of some shaky goalkeeping from St. FX goalkeeper Anna Thompson last Sunday. Emma Landry scored on a strange headed goal and Katie Richard bundled a mishandled corner into goal before chipping the out of position keeper late to double her tally.
The Dal women enter the Thanksgiving break on top of the AUS.

Big scores in AUS women’s soccer
Cape Breton led the way last Sunday with a 5–1 win over the UNB Varsity Reds. UPEI and Mt. Allison were also winners on Sunday, 3–0 over Acadia and Memorial, respectively.
It wasn’t a good weekend for Memorial, who also fell 3–0 to UNB and 3–1 to Moncton on their New Brunswick road trip. Cape Breton had a perfect weekend, with a 3–0 win over Moncton last Saturday. UPEI also beat Mt. Allison on Saturday.

UNB hockey successful south of the border
UNB’s men’s hockey team are continuing their tremendous preseason with two wins against University of Massachussets-Amherst and University of Vermont, both NCAA teams.
The Varsity Reds open their run at the University Cup Oct. 15 away to UPEI.

Mount/King’s soccer derby ends even
The first instalment of the Halifax ACAA soccer derby ended with two draws last Wednesday. The Mystics women played King’s to a 0 – 0 draw. The men ended 4–4 after trading goals all evening. The rematch is Oct. 16.