Monday, July 15, 2024
HomeWeekly ColumnCycling with DalSpin

Cycling with DalSpin

Follow Natasha on her journey in her first ever spin class

Intro to Spin

Spin, also called indoor cycling, is an exercise class that you do almost exclusively on a stationary bicycle. 

Run out of Studio 3 at the Dalplex, DalSpin hosts classes six times a week that focus on endurance and strength. Throughout the class, you work through varying levels of biking intensity as the spin bikes allow you to change the resistance you work against.

The class also includes comfortable warm-up and cool-down periods, including some off-bike stretching to end off the workout.

My journey

My spin journey started at the early hour of 6:05 a.m. when I arrived at the spin studio. Jennifer Ross, the instructor, started by helping me familiarize myself with the bike and the workout. 

Ross has been a fitness class instructor at the Dalplex for over two decades. She first got into spin back in 2014 when it was first introduced as a Dalplex fitness class. 

“It’s a customizable workout,” said Ross. “You can work as hard or as aggressively as you want.” 

Despite it being customizable, I was not prepared for how hard this workout was going to be and halfway through the class, my legs were burning. Having the option to adjust the resistance on the bike was beneficial for me. 

Another plus of being able to adjust the resistance and take breaks throughout the workout is that it allows you to work at your own pace while still partaking in the class. 

If you are scared of the gym but still want a workout, this is a great no-judgement zone since no one can actually tell what speed you are pedalling at or the resistance of your bike. In my experience, everyone in the class was super nice and we were all in the class for the same reason, to break a sweat. 

“My favourite thing about spin, apart from it being a good workout, is the people,” said Ross.

If you think spin is going to be awful going into your first class, you’re probably right. The first couple of classes are awfully hard. However, the more you do it, the better it gets and the more accustomed you are to the workout. 

“Just sign up and do it,” said Ross about getting started.

Grading the Experience

On a scale from one to 10; one being a little and 10 being a lot

Time Commitment: 2

Skill: 5

Accessibility: 5

Enjoyment: 9

Overall Experience: 9

Concluding thoughts

From this experience, it’s clear that DalSpin can be enjoyed by a wide range of people. If you are looking for an exercise class to get your heart pumping or if you are looking for something to do with your friends, spin is a great option. Being able to work at your own pace by adjusting the bike’s resistance allows newcomers and more experienced athletes to break a sweat. 

For more information about Dal Spin, check out the Dalplex website.

If you are part of a society that you want me to explore or if there’s an activity you think I should try, please email your suggestions to nt743857@dal.ca.