Thursday, July 18, 2024
HomeArts & CultureEidolon leaves lasting impression

Eidolon leaves lasting impression

Character Nervous Doll Dancing plays a cello onstage during Eidolon. (Photo supplied)

There are about 25 people in the North Street Church on a quiet Tuesday evening. The stage is sparsely set with a white umbrella open on one side, and a cello with its upright case on the other. Soft, haunting music plays, reminiscent of a music box.

The name of this production is Eidolon, a Greek word meaning “image.” As the music fades, a frenetic ticking is heard and an image of the inner workings of a clock projects onto the umbrella. The use of objects as screens creates a unique effect.

The sole performer and composer, Francesca Mountfort, takes the stage and picks up her cello. The music emanating from her instrument is beautiful; the deep notes seem to tug at the very marrow of the audience’s bones. Francesca plays in harmony to pre-recorded cello with a rich, full sound. Couple that with the beautiful photographs and segments of projected film for a delicate, meditative 50 minutes.

The underlying theme of the production is the passage of time. With images from nature, as well as the manufactured world, one thing in common is reflections of time. All of the visual aspects of the show were captured, edited and produced by Tom Hume, the man at the back of the church behind the laptop.

Hume works with Francesca to produce the album art, posters and other designs for Nervous Doll Dancing, the name of Mountfort’s solo project. Nervous Doll Dancing started in Wellington, New Zealand, and has completed three albums since 2002.

Watching Eidolon was like taking a breather from everyday life. In the quiet sanctuary of the North Street Church, the audience was frozen in time. It was a beautifully executed production and recommended by this writer.