Saturday, July 27, 2024
HomeArts & CultureFlicks Review: Morning Glory

Flicks Review: Morning Glory

By Meriha Beaton, Staff Contributor

What’s the story, morning glory?  Well, the answer to that would be: predictable and generic. But despite its foreseeable plot-line, the romantic comedy Morning Glory is saved by the dynamic trio of Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton.

As its main character, Becky Fuller, McAdams was lovably neurotic and naïve, creating a strong connection with viewers. Taking a break from the more romantic movies in which she plays glamorous, feminine roles, it was interesting to see McAdams as a career driven, romantically challenged woman. Her acting talent is undeniably outstanding when her looks aren’t the focal point of the role.

Becky is a young executive producer in charge of salvaging a morning show called Daybreak. In order to revive the show’s ratings, she hires a veteran news anchor, Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford) as co-host to cheesy Coleen Peck (Diane Keaton.) Becky admires Pomeroy’s work but is crushed when he turns out to be a cranky and difficult old man that refuses to cover anything that isn’t hard news. This is a problem, as Daybreak revolves around feeding viewers entertaining and sugary stories and features. Their love-hate relationship develops as Becky tries to get him more involved in the show, and Pomeroy rejects all of her attempts.

Of course, the relationship between Becky and Pomeroy isn’t romantic. That part is saved for the gorgeous Patrick Wilson, a fellow producer who plays Becky’s love interest. Their chemistry was believable and sweet, as he tries to relax the workaholic Becky. The relationship struggles at one point, as Becky’s obsession with the show pushes him away. True to romantic comedy fashion, however, the two reconcile near the end of the movie.

Surprise, surprise, the movie has a happy ending, with Becky and Pomeroy literally walking off into the sunset. Their relationship, which is the central part of the movie, has been strengthened through their struggles and Daybreak has been saved through their teamwork.

Overall, Morning Glory is a heart-warming, inspirational movie that is perfect if that is what you feel like seeing. Also, the combination of McAdams, Ford and Keaton takes it one step up from your traditional “feel good” movie. The acting adds substance to an otherwise fluffy movie, ironically one that’s all about the importance of feeding fun, sugary entertainment to viewers.