Tuesday, July 16, 2024
HomeArts & CultureJill Barber charms Halifax with her unique sound

Jill Barber charms Halifax with her unique sound

Sagar Jha, Staff Contributor

The Rebecca Cohn Auditorium has held many prestigious concerts that tend to draw older, more sophisticated crowds. But on Nov. 18, a heartwarming performance attracted a considerably younger audience.

A double bill featuring the incredibly talented jazz pianist, Michael Kaeshammer, and folk-jazz star, Jill Barber, drew in a nearly sold out crowd to the Dalhousie theatre.

As Kaeshammer took to the stage, the audience greeted him in a warm, Halifax fashion. It was clear the crowd didn’t anticipate his level of talent, but the pianist, along with his bassist, drummer and horn section, captivated the audience from the moment they began.

Kaeshammer opened his set with an eight minute, intricate piece, for which he received a thunderous applause. Though a few songs incorporated his vocal talent, it was his prowess on the piano that stole the show.

After an amazing set that showcased the musical talents of all the band members, Kaeshammer humbly thanked the audience for listening. The crowd rose to their feet to congratulate Michael Kaeshammer on the incredible show.

After a brief intermission and much anticipation, the entire room went black. As the lights faded back in, Jill Barber and her band were on stage, ready to perform. They were greeted with a warm and heartfelt applause. Armed with her guitar, Barber started off the set with three older songs.

It initially seemed as though Barber would be playing a more folk sounding show, until she transitioned into the title track off her latest album, Chances. This is when the tone for the evening was set; it would be full of Barber’s unique jazz style that sounds like it belongs in the 1950s.

Barber charmed the crowd with her soft-spoken story telling. She spoke about her personal life and relationship with Halifax, as she described the meaning of each song.

Barber mostly played songs from her 2008 album, Chances, but she also threw in a few old favorites and a new tune to be released on her next album in March 2011.

The highlight of her performance was when she performed “Oh My My,” the single from her 2008 album. With lower lighting and a soulful sound, Barber showed that she can do more than just a more melodic style. She walked up and down the aisle of the theatre without a microphone, belting out the lyrics. By the end, the crowd had joined in to this very special moment.

The evening’s music can be summed up in one word: timeless.