HomeArts & CultureProdigal Tree Son Committed to Boston

Prodigal Tree Son Committed to Boston

Surrounded by friends and family, this 72-year-old, 49-foot native white aspen of Lorne, Pictou County passed away earlier on Nov. 17. He would live most of his life in his native soil, contributing to the province as a primary producer.

A mid-day ceremony was held in remembrance on Nov. 18 at the Halifax Grand Parade. Looking as green as he did in life in death, hundreds would come out to witness him.

The occasion would be marked by a solemn programme, heralded in by several Nova Scotian town criers. Mayor Mike Savage, Premier Stephen McNeil, US Consul General for Atlantic Canada Steven Giegerich and many other local politicians, would be among those who made remarks at the public ceremony. Stephen McNeil himself had accompanied the tree down towards Halifax from its native soil.

A song written to commemorate the occasion, “We Will See You Through,” by Suzanne Pasternak was also performed, by her and the Nova Scotian Mass Choir. The ceremony was also marked by the performance of Pictou County native folk singer Dave Gunning of the seasonally appropriate “Frosty the Snowman.”

He is remembered by property owners Bill and Andrea MacEachern, as well as the hundreds of descendents of a multitude of ages throughout the neighborhood.

Directly following the ceremony, he was escorted out under police, fire, and marathon runner escort. His journey will end on November 20th in Boston, Massachusetts, where he will lay in state in the Boston Common throughout the month of December. A public ceremony will be held there in remembrance, illuminating his accomplishments, on Dec. 3.