HomeArts & CultureRon Sexsmith hopes he is a ‘Late Bloomer’

Ron Sexsmith hopes he is a ‘Late Bloomer’

Acclaimed singer-songwriter to perform in Halifax next week

Matthew Holden, Staff Contributor

Ron Sexsmith is not a household name, but he should be. Especially in Canada. After 10 albums, two Junos and much critical acclaim, he has put in the time.

Sexsmith will be stopping in Halifax to play two shows at The Carleton on Tuesday, March 8 and Wednesday, March 9 to promote his 11th album, Long Player Late Bloomer.

With the worldwide release of the album this week, Sexsmith hopes to reach a broader audience.

“I wasn’t sure at first what sort of record to make or if I should even make another record,” he said in an email. “But I had the songs and I was looking for a producer who could help me make a record that might get heard.

“I wanted to do something that was far away from ‘indie music’ or ‘alt country’ and make a more straight-on pop album.”

Sexsmith’s first independent album was released in 1991. He made his big label debut in 1995. Since then Sexsmith has won critical acclaim for each of his subsequent albums.

However it is the praise from fellow musicians that is arguably more meaningful, at least from a musician’s point of view. Bob Dylan, Elton John, Chris Martin, Michael Bublé, Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams are just a few of the many influential musicians from a variety of genres to praise Sexsmith’s body of work.

“It’s incredible and meaningful to me,” he said. “I didn’t expect it but it feels great.”

He has turned to pop by changing a few aspects of his record making process, specifically by working with well-known Canadian record producer Bob Rock. Rock is a man with a diverse music career, producing bands from Simple Plan to Metallica to Michael Buble and everyone in between.

Still, working with Rock hasn’t dramatically altered Sexsmith’s musical style.

“But the sound is bigger and more polished I think… I hope,” said Sexsmith.

In Long Player Late Bloomer the “Long Player” element refers to albums.

“I love albums! I love the sequence of a good record and album art,” said Sexsmith. “A lot of folks these days don’t care much for records as a whole but I see them as being like books or movies.”

The “Late Bloomer” part was based on the song Sexsmith wrote.

“It’s about waking up with a healthy skepticism but with a big dream as well,” he said.

With the new album’s release, Sexsmith has started on a tour that will take him all through Canada, as well as parts of The United States and Western Europe.

“I’m a home body in general but I love performing,” he said. “I’m not a big fan of airports and flying but it goes with the territory.”