HomeArts & CultureStarfleet Academy Failure

Starfleet Academy Failure

Disaster struck the Holodeck on the Halifax Campus of Starfleet Academy on Thursday as the same storm which cut power to large portions of peninsular Halifax hit.

The classroom had been scheduled for a presentation of astronomy and interstellar geopolitics, entitled “Where in the Sky is the Klingon Empire?”

Despite this complication, Starfleet Instructor and Member of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Tony Schellinck persevered on, striving to make best and carry on with his duties as an educator.

To do this, he would make use of anachronistic teaching aids, demonstrating star finding and recognition with the help of such items like handheld binoculars and his own personal datapad. The cadets of the course were not deterred by this, and were enthused to continue on.

By doing so, Instructor Schellinck was to achieve success in a limited degree – placing the location of Federation space and its general relations to the neighboring entities – the Cardassian, Ferengi, Romulan, and Klingon – before Engineering came in to inform him that holodeck functionality would not be restored at any point soon. The class was then released, as further instruction would’ve been constrained in content and ability.

An unfortunate occurrence, this is something which has not apparently happened in the time Instructor Schellinck has taught. For all who attended this meeting, they would be invited back to the same lecture as it will be presented on Nov. 5, or at an alternate date for those unable to attend.

Schellinck is well versed in this topic area though, explaining for his ability to carry on as meritously as he did. He has made similar presentations in the past, like that of “The Secrets of the Universe as Revealed by Star Wars” at Hal-Con 2012 and “The Night Sky According to Star Trek: Where Empires Exist” at this year’s Hal-Con.

The Gazette will try to publish a full review of the presentation when it does occur unfettered by disaster.