HomeArts & CultureTunes review: The Kooks

Tunes review: The Kooks

Matthew Ritchie shares his thoughts on Junk of the Heart

The Kooks - Junk of the Heart
The Kooks - Junk of the Heart

It’s fitting that Brighton, England’s indie-poppers The Kooks would name their third album Junk of the Heart, because this album is full of melodramatic bullshit.

First off, I want to mention that I don’t have any vendetta against lead singer Luke Pritchard and his merry band of Kinks-inspired rockers. Their first release, Inside In/Inside Out, remains one of the most undervalued British music releases of 2006. Five years later, that album still rocks. But it seems like when the group went back into the studio and recorded their follow-up in 2008, all of the good aspects about the group went out the window. Gone were the sprightly punk rhythms, acrobatic wails, and perfect harmonies. In its place were over indulgent guitar riffs, redundant lyrics and an overall lack of excitement – pretty surprising considering two years earlier this was one of Britain’s hottest new bands.

Well, I’m sorry to say not much has changed since the band release d Konk in 2008. Without sounding too cute by using too many puns regarding the album title, Junk of the Heart is made up primarily of filler. The guitar lines are predictable, Luke Pritchard’s vocal range isn’t as dynamic as it once was and there are far too many synthesizers filling out the band’s sound. These guys are supposed to rock, not sound like Phil Collins mixed with a poor man’s Bombay Bicycle Club.

I hate to say this about a band I once admired so much, but guys, you can do better. This album is just boring.