Thursday, May 2, 2024
HomeNewsHalifaxAnti-choice demo gives religion a bad name, says minister

Anti-choice demo gives religion a bad name, says minister

By Laura Conrad and Mick Côté, News Editor and News Contributor

From Sept. 22 to Oct. 31, protesters taking part in the 40 Days For Life religious campaign will be praying and fasting to end abortion.

The different chapters worldwide started their campaigns at the same time. They aim to raise awareness on abortion, while peacefully protesting the practice. The Halifax branch of the group will be protesting outside of the Victoria General Hospital, the only hospital in Halifax that provides the service, in front of the South Park Street entrance.

The campaign consists of three different components—prayer and fasting, peaceful vigil, and community outreach. Julie Culshaw, who is part of the 40 Days for Life leadership team, says that she is very passionate about advocating for pro-life.

“About four years ago, I saw a video of an abortion taking place. The reality of it really hit me,” she says. “This is the greatest social injustice of our time, that people are denied a right to life. If you don’t have a right to life, then you don’t have any rights at all.”

Culshaw explains that this is the third year that the event has been in Halifax. Although she says it’s impossible to measure the effect of their efforts, she believes in the power of prayer.

“This will be over once we all realize how great of an injustice it is,” she says. “The truth will always come through in the end.”

There were also counter-protesters present on the first day of 40 Days for Life. Nicholas (last name withheld) showed up alone.

“There should be more than just one voice here,” she says. “I’m doing this so that women will know they are loved, and that they don’t have to deal with this bullshit.”

As people prayed while pacing or sitting quietly on the sidewalk, Nicholas, a self-proclaimed anarchist, chanted alone, obliterating the low mumbles of the pro-life protesters.

“My body’s nobody’s body but mine,” she sang. “A woman dies every eight minutes because she doesn’t have the right to proper abortion practices.”

Linda Yates, a minister at the Windsor Street United Church, says that anti- choice groups don’t represent the full spectrum of Christian expression. Yates says that not all religious groups are anti- choice

“There is actually a great deal of pro- choice thought within religious groups,” she says. “There is a lot of diversity of opinion. When you only see one-sided opinions, it not only reflects badly on religion but is also inaccurate.”

Yates also believes in the power of prayer, but does so from a pro-choice perspective.

“There are different ways of thinking about abortion that are also very faithful,” she says. “We pray for the women who have to make these difficult choices. We pray for their safety. We can trust women to make their own decisions about their bodies.”

Yates is opposed to the 40 Days for Life Campaign, and says it can be considered as a form of harassment to women.

“After undergoing all kinds of internal thought about abortion, women don’t need harassment on top of what is already a personal and difficult experience in their lives.”

Culshaw, however, disagrees. She believes that pro-life is the only way of thinking when it comes to being a Christian.

“I would say you cannot be a Christian and be pro-life,” she says. “To say that you are pro-choice, when you know that God entered the world through the process of pregnancy and birth, is a contradiction.”

Despite the controversy, the Victoria General’s media advisor John Gillis says he does not foresee issues arising with patients.

“In past years, there were problems with staff and patients getting upset,” he said. “But the programs will continue as usual, and this will have no affect on people coming in and out.”