HomeNewsDalhousieSome Killam computers keeping data after use

Some Killam computers keeping data after use

Some computers in the Killam Library are showing the limits to security on university electronics.

The Gazette has found multiple instances of previous users’ data being stored after logging into computers on the first floor’s South Learning Commons.

On some computers, downloads and browser history dating back to at least Nov. 5 have not been automatically deleted.

Dwight Fischer is Assistant VP of ITS. He said this is unusual.

“Normally when students log in and then log off, their data is all erased,” Fischer said in an email.

“This sounds more like an anomaly, but it is of obvious concern.”

Fischer said he would look into the matter further. He believes that the previous user may not have logged off properly.

Dalhousie student Ellis Paulin isn’t too worried about the security breach.

“Honestly it doesn’t make me feel significantly less safe. I think anything that someone would reasonably download in one of these public spaces is unlikely to be incredibly malicious.”

Documents found on public computers by the Gazette include an airline boarding pass and a letter about plagiarism.

Attempts to visit the websites Spotify and LinkedIn from Killam computers have resulted in automatically being logged into previous users’ accounts.

Kelly Li, a King’s student, agrees with Paulin.

“I’ll use a Dal computer if I need to, but not on the basis where I rely on them.”

The Gazette is waiting to hear back from Fischer about what steps are being taken to ensure the safety of students who use school computers.