HomeOpinionsAll eyes on us

All eyes on us

Canada's Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay speaking at the Halifax International Security Forum Friday afternoon. (Photo from halifaxtheforum.org)
Canada’s Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay speaking at the Halifax International Security Forum Friday afternoon. (Photo from halifaxtheforum.org)

The world has come to Halifax. From Nov. 16 to 18 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 300 well- informed leaders from more than 50 countries will gather to discuss the most pertinent security issues facing our world today. Leaders, scholars and military experts will discuss the impact of the unrest in Syria, the emergence of China as a power in the West, contemporary threats such as cyber security and the global impact of the recent American presidential election.

Established in 2009, the Halifax International Security Forum is an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization that seeks to meet contemporary security threats through informal, interactive and free-flowing discourse.  Over these three days, the most pressing security issues will be discussed in order to find way to meet these emerging challenges in an ever- changing world.

The Forum will welcome Canadian minister of national defence Peter MacKay, an American congressional delegation led by U.S. senator John McCain (Republican-Arizona), Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (NATO); Abdul Rahim Wardak, and other leaders from around the world. The Halifax International Security Forum is rather significant this year, for it is the first international conference taking place after the American presidential election.

The discussion will be broadcast live at www.halifaxtheforum.org and up to date information regarding the forum is available through twitter (@halifaxtheforum) and #Halifax2012.

As all eyes fall on this beloved East Coast city, the challenges that create instability and conflict will (hopefully) come one step closer to being resolved. As Peter MacKay puts it, “the Halifax International Security Forum has evolved into the premier event for leaders and experts to discuss the most relevant, urgent global security issues.”

Follow me on twitter @SamVlessing for up to the minute details of the forum.